Thread: Flashbacks during meditation.

Flashbacks during meditation.

Does anyone experience this? I know that it can happen, when your mind is still and quiet the trauma is still there underneath waiting to come out. It only seems to happen when I'm not doing good though, so I can only meditate when I'm well. I'm not sure how to deal with this other than to avoid meditating, but I consider it something that keeps me well so I have no clue.

Re: Flashbacks during meditation.

My partner has a very severe form of PTSD called DID, which she is being treated for.

It has been suggested to her that meditation might not be the best solution for where she is right now, and if you're struggling too it's probably best to avoid it based on how you feel at the time.

You might try mindfulness instead, which accesses the same parts of the brain and has similar effects, but is a more lucid practice.

Yes, I have Emmer. It always seems to come through for me while meditating. And sometimes when I am falling to sleep. I used to do my meditation while lying down and found the sitting position less intruding of PTSD thoughts.
    Lying down is a very vulnerable position, I think.
    And maybe try meditation outside if you can, even for a short while is effective. x

I have this too. I have ptsd from invasive medical procedures performed on me as a very young child and experience my ptsd somatically instead of memory flashbacks. But I've been thinking that maybe they are a form of memory but just memory of the body-mind? One of my procedures was done under anesthesia so I have hyper vigilance about sleep. I do deep breathing with an app called Heart Math. It's given me the chance to benefit from mindfullness but I don't have to feel vulnerable while doing it. I do use meditation to deal with the somatic flashbacks but I have to be careful about processing them slowly and with help from a therapist or bodywork practitioner who has experience working with trauma.

Memories can be physical as well as cognitive, they're called body memories and are common with PTSD.

That's Probably why I jump when my bread pops out of the toaster or a door bangs shut. Any unexpected bang is a memory of my car crash and that was over 5 years ago!

Thread Information