Thread: Weird flying phobia

Weird flying phobia

I have the most odd phobia in relation to flying. I'm not scared of potential aircraft disasters or anything like that, I know how bloody safe they are. I am frightened, on the other hand, of not being able to see the ground from an aircraft. I hate looking out the window to be surrounded by clouds. Absolutely hate it. If I can see lights on the ground, or even ocean, or land, I am calm as can be. Clouds and the 'unknown' frighten the crap out of me.

Has anyone else experienced this? I wish planes flew 300 feet above land haha

Nick

Re: Weird flying phobia

I have problems with flying but mine is based in being trapped and unable to get out.

Not had the cloud one, but were all different, it's whatever your anxiety attaches itself too. Think of the clouds as a warm fluffy duvet.

Ghost…Spillways

Thanks, @Darksky that's a good thing to think of! I think my mind panics because I feel like I'm separated from the world on the ground... Weird, I know

Well it's not weird because you are literally separated from the world when flying.

I imagine you had that very thought one day and boom, your anxiety latched onto it. Then it's all you can think of when you fly. Would the doctor not give you some diazipan just to take while you are in the air. You will still have the same thought but the physical symptoms won't follow it.

Ghost…Spillways

Well that's true I guess!

Doctor has prescribed diazepam and I take propranolol as well so there should be no chance of physical symptoms bothering me

Just need to get through it.

Maybe booking your seat and having a aisle seat would be a big help? I know it's a small thing and may cost more but if for peace of mind isn't it wroth it? x

Thanks Sarah! Yeah I have booked an aisle seat. Also booked extra legroom so won't feel so trapped

Thread Information