Thread: Hello - driving over bridges phobia

Hello - driving over bridges phobia

Hi. I am new to this site. I found it via Google and also noticed the NHS guidelines for phobia mentioned this website too. I am in my 40s. Since I was a child I have had fear of heights. Whilst I am still scared of heights, it doesnt have a huge negative impact on my life. In last 5 years, my phobia has developed to also specifically fear driving over big bridges, esp motorway bridges. Or big bridge such as Dartford crossing. A couple of years ago I had strong anxiety reaction (panic attack) when driving over bridge to my Mums. At that time I was in a very stressful job which involved driving across a huge bridge whilst also supporting a lady who herself had extreme anxiety about travelling and could grab others when they were driving if she felt overwhelmed. Much of those drives included me being on high alert. So, all in all - my life became more limited as I find now there are 2 important locations - my mums and also a nearby city - that I can't drive to. Over last few days I took kids away and went to a beautiful area camping. On way, I'd found drive hard but did it. On way back I had total panic attack. I was only 30 mins from home and my husband had to come and get me. What a fool I feel. And upset this phobia has taken such a hold. I am not sure what to do now. I have tried CBT with trainee therapist via IAPT in my area. I felt that made it worse as I attempted a big bridge drive and had major panic attack which didnt really help prove her theory that the level of danger was not as accurate in my head as in reality - a panic attack whilst driving at 70mph is not safe. So anyway.... i am rambling!!! I hope to find some support in tbe group and be of support to others. 😁

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Clopper171 and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and
    are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and
    support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Hello - driving over bridges phobia

My goodess, Clopper, that sounds awful! I don't drive (have never really had the opportunity to learn since the first time I failed my test, but I doubt the anxiety helps) and I think you're pretty brave and really focused to do it at all.

Not the same, but broadly similar: for a good few years in my teens I had a huge phobia of escalators - I really struggled to get on them as I was scared of stepping on the join and falling. It was a nightmare, but one that mostly fixed itself in my early twenties when I landed up seeking work and then working in London. I had to confront them every day, and these days they're mostly not a problem (although really huge downward ones still make me nervy).

Welcome to the group!

Hi and welcome

I have the opposite driving under bridges I cringe,don’t know how or why,it started as a child and continued through too adulthood, I am getting better going under them but it’s bloody hard.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks.... I have read these posts and some other threads on the forums. Its strange reading other people describing a very similar phenomenon to what I feel with bridges. I thought I was just being stupid, or imagining it. Its helped to read other people's accounts and realise I am not the only one who experiences it. Thanks to all x

Thread Information