Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about my heart, low heart rate freaking me out.

Worried about my heart, low heart rate freaking me out.

I recently got a Fitbit and notice when I’m lying in bed and very relaxed (on my phone etc) my heart rate will go into the 50s. It’s normally around 57/58 but once it was 55. Of course this freaks me out because resting heart rate should be 60-100bpm. Normally while watching tv it stays in the 60s/70s it’s only when I’m laying down and more relaxed that it dips into the 50s

I don’t know if this is normal but it also jumps around a lot. One minute it will be 72 the next 76 then it could be 68. Is this abnormal? I thought it was meant to stay at the same rate. It also sometimes jumps to like 84. I also noticed when walking it’s around 130 which seems too high. I tried checking my pulse with my fingers but it’s hard to tell it seems that checking with my fingers provides a score about 2/3 bpm higher than the Fitbit but by the time I finish the Fitbit normally says something different to when I started anyway. Also when I was counting I swear I felt my heart skip a beat a few times. I know it’s common for very fit and healthy people to have low heart rates, my dad says his goes as low as the 40s when relaxing but he exercises daily and eats very well. Also has an active job. I eat pretty badly and the most exercise I get is the walk back and from college 4 days a week. I’m also very tired all the time but then again I’m always stressed and don’t sleep well sometimes.

I’m currently freaking out about dying in my sleep so this doesn’t help at all.
    Last edited by Kitkat99; 02-06-19 at 00:02.

Re: Worried about my heart, low heart rate freaking me out.

Ditch the Fitbit. You’re doing much more harm than good

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    Yes you are probably right. I never had heart anxiety before getting it. I thought it would be a cool gadget to have but my HA probably doesn’t mix well.

So I looked up how to take your resting heart rate and it said count how many beats in 15 seconds and times by 4. I did this a few times while lying down after taking a few deep breaths and kept getting either 72bpm or 76bpm (either 18 or 19 in 15 seconds) that helped me feel a bit better but I keep thinking that it’s just higher because I’m anxious and my normal resting heart rate is really low. Also I’m pretty sure the Fitbit is more accurate than me counting...as it’s more precise. Also I doubt it would be so much lower on the Fitbit and when it was around 57 last time I took my heart rate and it was around 60 anyway...I’m so scared to go to sleep.

^^^THAT!^^^

Stop the self checking! There's nothing wrong with your heart!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Honestly, a true resting rate in the 50s is perfectly fine, as long as you aren't feeling crappy from it. There has been a lot of talk over recent years about clinical guidelines being updated to make the normal range as 50-90, instead of the 60-100 doctors study now.

That said, again, a doctor will only worry about a low heart rate if you are showing clear associated symptoms with it. Remember that virtually always a lower heart rate is good, as it means you are less stressed and your heart is not working as hard.

I speak from experience on this one. Since last year, I have lost 111lb, and my resting heart rate has gone from the 80s to 48-52. I have also come off one of my two BP meds. My cardio doctor is thrilled, and expressed no concern at these heart rates (my info blurb came directly from him).

I second this! I was given one as a gift and although I enjoyed using it to track my steps etc. I found that it bought with it a whole heap of anxiety. My RHR would go as low as 49 and as a result, found myself checking it around the clock. This then caused me to have heart palpitations (from the anxiety) which increased the anxiety altogether (vicious cycle)! My advice, take it off and hide it away somewhere, you’ll feel much better for it.

My sister brought me something similar to a fitbit online at Christmas, does everything- BUT take your heartrate! It's great. I use it alot to track my sleep as it something I struggle with without all the stress

Btw, you can turn off the heart rate tracking, and just use it for the other functions (steps stairs, notifications, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Btw, you can turn off the heart rate tracking, and just use it for the other functions (steps stairs, notifications, etc)
    True, but that's like saying "Don't Google"

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information