Thread: Does Sertraline withdrawal mess up your hormones?

Does Sertraline withdrawal mess up your hormones?

*Ladies only* Hi, I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this. So I've been taking Sertraline for four years [had a small month gap in between but on it continuously for the past year]. I've gained so much weight on it that it made me miserable, so instead of doing the sensible thing & going to the docs & seeing if they could change the meds to one that didn't have that side effect for me, I came off of them myself about 2 weeks ago. It was gradual, I didn't just stop cold turkey but I thought I was doing the right thing as I thought I could cope without them. I now realise I was very wrong & I'm having such an awful time. The thing that is worrying me most though is that my period should have started a week ago but hasn't turned up yet. I know I'm not pregnant. This is causing my anxiety to go crazy as I keep thinking there's something wrong. I have heard that Sertraline can mess up your hormones when you first start & stop taking it, could this be the reason? Has anyone else had this happen before? I'm going crazy with worry

Re: Does Sertraline withdrawal mess up your hormones?

Quote Originally Posted by Chica18 View Post
    *Ladies only* Hi, I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this. So I've been taking Sertraline for four years [had a small month gap in between but on it continuously for the past year]. I've gained so much weight on it that it made me miserable, so instead of doing the sensible thing & going to the docs & seeing if they could change the meds to one that didn't have that side effect for me, I came off of them myself about 2 weeks ago. It was gradual, I didn't just stop cold turkey but I thought I was doing the right thing as I thought I could cope without them. I now realise I was very wrong & I'm having such an awful time. The thing that is worrying me most though is that my period should have started a week ago but hasn't turned up yet. I know I'm not pregnant. This is causing my anxiety to go crazy as I keep thinking there's something wrong. I have heard that Sertraline can mess up your hormones when you first start & stop taking it, could this be the reason? Has anyone else had this happen before? I'm going crazy with worry
    I wouldn't advise quitting without a discussion with your doctor. Does doctor know? It's likely that the issues you had prior to starting sertraline will come back, and sometimes worse than before.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Does Sertraline withdrawal mess up your hormones?

When I started sertraline 3 weeks ago my period was due, I was 8 days late and when it came it was incredibly light and not crampy like it normally would be. So yes it does mess with your cycle. But I don’t recommend coming off them perhaps get to docs and hopefully you will feel better when you start taking them again.

Thread Information