Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About to get a lot of hassle at work

About to get a lot of hassle at work

Will keep this short, because I'm in work right now and waiting for the, err, rubbish to hit the fan.

Basically, my job consists of managing the virtual learning environment at a local college. For the past year, we've been in the process of creating a new site for this, and for the past three or four months we've been warning staff that the move was imminent. The date for the move was given as last Friday. A week before that, I was still receiving panicked emails from people who hadn't prepared at all.

I was on holiday all the next (last) week, and I've come back to work to find out that the old site is now so unstable I've just had to make it inaccessible, although I and a few members of tech staff can still get in. Despite all the warnings I and my boss have given them, I know the teaching staff are still going to get really upset and most of this is going to come flying in my direction. I've made a lot of jokes about iron underwear, but I'm actually a really sensitive, anxious person and the thought of all the complaints and nastiness I'm going to get frightens the life out of me.

Thanks for reading, not sure what the point of this is other than to remind myself I'm not a bad person really and try to convince myself to stay strong.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: About to get a lot of hassle at work

You know where to send any complaints. Moaning swines

I think you'll find that when challenged, you're stronger than you think, especially as none of this is your fault.

May the Wrath be with you!

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks, KK. I know I can do this

Sounds like you could use the support of the "Told Ya So Gang". So if they complain you know what to tell them

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 03-06-19 at 23:18.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I hate confrontation but only when I feel I've done done something wrong, or can get blamed for something mainly .

youve done nothing wrong, keep that in mind all the time.

Ghost…Spillways

It sounds like you’re going to have some upset people, but.... you warned them and I’m sure there are help tools they can use?
    I suggest writing an email template or/and script for yourself and using it for each person. Don’t be too apologetic or they’ll keep on and on and on. Stick to the facts in that you are sorry for any inconvenience but here’s what they need to do now.

You’ve got this, you’re brilliant with words and it may not be as bad as you think. But if it is, or it’s worse - you’ve still got this. It won’t last for ever. Deep calming breaths, one thing at a time & wine for dinner.

Also it’s very satisfying to make faces at people down the phone....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the facts. They've had months of warning that you are migrating to the new site. Some of them failed to plan for it. That's their fault. If they get annoyed about it then that's an issue that can be taken back to their line managers for the incompetence. Any inability to conduct teaching will lie with them in this circumstance. They are ultimately responsible for the teaching to any students as they are stakeholders.

Some of them may have not understood or felt unable to approach you for help. This is understandable and you can obviously feel sympathetic and try to help them. But those that are just having a go because they feel inconvenienced by what is ultimately their own fault is something to flag up and for your manager to take back to theirs as it's unacceptable.

You can only do your best and these people may wants everything NOW NOW NOW because they are under pressure from above but there has to be compromise. They need to accept their role in causing any service delays to their clients/students. Stakeholders may kick off, it's what some do whether they are just idiots or pushing for a faster service (some of them may even be competing for your attention), but it's something to manage rather than everyone end up working 24/7.

What's the worst that can happen? Some of their students/clients are held up, maybe some complain and this heats up with the teachers. They may try to point the finger at your team and lay blame but is there any grounds for them to do so? Were they briefed adequately? Were they briefed in a way they could understand the importance of it without being intimidated by technical jargon? Were they given reminders of impending migration?

I've been involved in quite a few data migrations in a past role and there are always a ton of issues. We would spend possibly a year tidying up data to allow for migration and still have plenty to fix afterwards. And then there are all the errors testing misses (and often badly planned UAT scenarios e.g. where stakeholders aren't engaged about the differences between what happens in the real world vs the lab )...You just have to do your part, raise what you can and do what you can address issues. Stakeholders will want you to cancel everything to prioritise then and that's for managers to deal with so they don't find their staff burned out by unrealistic expectations.

So, I wonder whether this is anticipatory anxiety? I wonder if this is because you are one of those people who cares about their works, like to help others and is your own worse critic? I wonder what your manager thinks about the impending queries or maybe your co workers?

It's definitely anticipatory anxiety, yes. I'm an incorrigible people pleaser and while I've got better as I've grown older, I still feel physically sick at the thought of people feeling upset with me or feeling as though I'm not doing everything I can to help them.

I don't have any co-workers on this project, but my manager is of the definite opinion that if anybody gives me any hassle about this after all the emails, presentations, meetings and consultations we've given to ease the transition, they can get knotted.

Let me share with you a couple things that stuck with me in business/work. The first was in sales. It was the saying "Some will. Some won't. So what? NEXT!" It was a way of dealing with rejection but it applies to so many other aspects in life, one of which is taking advice. Everyone has been informed of the imminent change and has had time to prepare. You've done your part. There's nothing more you can do and the reality is, its not your fault if they haven't. So the reality is, some will be upset, some won't be upset, who cares? Move on to the next thing.

The other was when I was working in the car business for a short time. I quickly learned that all the nasty things you hear about the car business and car sales are true. I felt dirty to be honest. There was a salesman I made friends with and I asked him how he's dealt with that issue and he said "I just don't give a shit!" Here is one of the nicer people I met in my life but when it came to his living, he adopted that attitude and it not only served him well in making money, it helped him deal with the negativity that came with the job.

And yes, you have your manager. I would discuss this with him/her and how you want to handle what sounds like an inevitable backlash. I get that's not part of your personal makeup and its not part of mine either but I use those things as a coping and survival technique in the business/work world and they've served me well.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for the support, all. My manager has encouraged me to make up an email template to deal with any nastiness that comes through, but thus far, people have mostly been reasonable and I haven't had to use it. I've also been told to ignore any unreasonable requests. It's tiring and it's definitely making my anxiety flare, but aside from being a bit distracted I'm mostly coping.

One of the things I've learned over the years is that I don't always have to be at my best - sometimes it's okay to just be the best I can be at that point, as nauseating as that sounds For now, I'm doing what I can with the resources I have - I can go back to being amazing again once circumstances are better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information