Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: About to get a lot of hassle at work

Re: About to get a lot of hassle at work

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Updates were sent out, yes, along with clear lists of actions that the staff concerned needed to take. They didn't take these, with the result that we're now in a very precarious position. I'm firefighting at the moment, dealing with the quickest fixes first, then everything else on a more or less first come first served basis. The awkward buggers tend to get shunted to the back of the queue, primarily because these are the ones who've done least to help themselves.

On the bright side, I removed all the internal advertising banners on the old (dying) site and replaced it with an appropriately-modified copy of Monty Python's dead parrot sketch, which has actually proved more effective than all the meetings, presentations and informational emails combined.
    Do you mean updates about implementation of the new site? I'm asking about updates on fixes post implementation. If they have an issue with those then they need to contact the owner of that project and argue their case. I assume this is you. But if you, and your boss, sit down and order this stuff based on the impacts to stakeholders they will have to live with it. If they still push, you can push back at their bosses. Your boss may like to point out why his staff are now in this difficult position and that whilst you are all working hard to rectify it should someone more senior come asking why services are failing it will be pointed out where blame lies. That tends to get managers to be more patient.

Some stakeholders will run you into the ground simply because they want to look good themselves. The credit seldom gets pointed to those who did that work. And these types of stakeholders tend to want it again next time.

Terry, we're waiting for a consultant to come in to fix the back end stuff, which is way outside my purview. I'm letting people know this every time I ask, and letting them know what I'm doing to protect their data in the meantime. I give timeframes for this, too, although sometimes they're fairly approximate. Where people are particularly obnoxious or I've caught them lying in the past, I communicate directly with their managers.

Feeling a little better now; apparently the depression hasn't completely taken root. Would love to have the weekend off from everything, but I have a largish craft fair today and a bit of writing to catch up on for the gaming site tomorrow. Still, I'm planning to make sure it's a fairly relaxed one.

Good luck today as you start another working week...I really hope things get better, Iris x

Thanks so much, Pulisa. I'm not sure why, but putting a bit of Monty Python up prominently in a place where everybody can see it has largely stopped the hassle in its tracks. I have no clue - maybe laughter really is healing. How are you doing, anyhow?

There's nothing like humour to diffuse challenging situations..Am glad Monty P is working some magic..Hope today was less stressful for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information