Thread: Executive Dysfunction Disorder. Is there any help for this?

Executive Dysfunction Disorder. Is there any help for this?

Didn't know where to put this, so posting it here.

As a result of aspergers I have executive dysfunction. Had this all my life, but never really knew what it was. It's only recently I was trying to find answers to "why can't I complete what I start" that I discovered ADD. Whether it's music production, programming, DIY, jobs I've been paid for etc I rarely complete a project. I've got hundreds of unfinished things I've done.

I checked all the boxes for ADD, but then learned that the same executive dysfunction in ADD is also in Aspergers. I took an online test here: https://www.additudemag.com/executiv...st-for-adults/ ... I scored 93%. I don't rely on tests as proof, just a very weak indicator.

I've never been medicated for Aspergers, only depression and anxiety. But is there any medications that help with executive functioning disorder? I am going to discuss this with my doctor but to my knowledge there isn't much treatment aside from therapy? The problems I have related to ED have hindered my life in so many ways. Would be nice to be able to actually complete a task lol!

Re: Executive Dysfunction Disorder. Is there any help for this?

Sounds like normal male behaviour to me.

There do seem to be "syndromes/disorders" for most things these days. I'm not sure your GP will be too impressed with "EDD".

You are managing your Asperger's and functioning well-I wouldn't look for more labels. I say this as the parent of 2 adult children with ASD.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Sounds like normal male behaviour to me.

There do seem to be "syndromes/disorders" for most things these days. I'm not sure your GP will be too impressed with "EDD".

You are managing your Asperger's and functioning well-I wouldn't look for more labels. I say this as the parent of 2 adult children with ASD.
    Hi Pulisa,

The problem is I can't finish anything. Not even work related things.

For example I had an amazing idea to develop a MIDI controller. Thing like a music keyboard you plug into your computer. Except my controller could be programmed with chords, scales and chord progressions. I'm grade 6 theory + a programmer by trade and know how to build electronics so I used all my skills to create something and build a business out of it.

I spent a good month on it. But once I'd implemented the logic, and got the prototype built and proved to myself it worked I pushed it to the side and the idea was no longer fun. I moved onto the next exciting idea because once the challenge has been solved I have no more interest.

This happens in work related tasks, personal projects, and even open source projects. Lots of missed and wasted opportunities. I could have built several businesses and be living a different life. I did once, but I had another person in on the project funding it and it made us wealthy for a period. But then that was no longer fun. All I wanted to do was learn things, mostly unrelated to the business we built. Got depressed that I didn't like my situation, became an alcoholic as a result, downgraded my living for a quite life and resorted to learning more and programming my own projects. 99% of them unfinished.

I get so fed up when my project folder starts to get full that I delete the folder for a fresh start. I don't even back up. I just hit delete without a care in the world to clear my head and start again.

I've missed deadlines, lost clients and all sorts because once the excitement of the project wears off, it's dead to me. And once you place a deadline over me it's impossible to work. That deadline is like a weight on my shoulders. It causes stress I can't handle which causes anger, self doubt, depression, anxiety.

I feel like it is a problem in my life and one that's existed for a long time. I got bored with University because I felt like they wasn't teaching me anything I didn't know ... so I bailed out and that's when I started the business. But I was just the programmer, I didn't manage it.

I know I could be more in life and I don't want this hindrance anymore. I want to be able to focus on my ideas and develop them until the end.

I see friends who I've taught in the past and they're living a nice life. They don't know anywhere near as much as what I know in Internet Marketing, yet they have focus. And that's the problem with me. People have told me this.

If I can't do it alone what other option do I have but to take meds? 20 years of this likely means I'm hard wired this way. I've never had help for Aspergers. I should have had it as a child but it went unknown until I was already an adult and then I was told there's not much help for adults unless you're non functioning.

Is it more a feature of the Aspergers? I quickly scanned about 10 questions and answered yes to a fair few, I didn't go any further. I know from my own experience some of those can be linked to OCPD and I'm wondering whether this is a trait thing but there needs to be an underlying mindset as well and not just a minimum criteria? I can remember reading about personality disorders, and I know others who have also raised this point, and I could see one criteria here & there I identified with.

This is one of the hard issues with mental health disorders as they seem to skew so many things out of a normal range you wonder what is inflated because of them and what was there before.

Thread Information