Thread: My first panic attack (I think)

My first panic attack (I think)

Hi everyone,

I think I might have had my first panic attack last night and I am looking for some advice.

I have generally always been a worrier who gets easily stressed and usually expects the worst. I also experience health anxiety fairly regularly, in that I often think various symptoms are a sign of something serious. But I havent really experienced anything like this before.

Last night, I woke up in the early hours and felt like my chest was tight, as though I couldnt breathe fully/deeply. I went to the bathroom and felt very sweaty and anxious, like I didnt know what to do and wasnt in control. I got a glass of water and lay on the couch for a few minutes to try to calm down. Then I went back to bed and, eventually, fell asleep. Today I feel exhausted, have no energy and have trouble concentrating, and I still feel a bit anxious - I think I am worried about the same thing happening again tonight...

Does this sound like a panic attack, or similar to anything anyone else has experienced? Does anyone have any advice on the best way to deal with it and, if possible, prevent it from happening again? I really want to get a good nights sleep but I am a bit nervous about going to bed later...

Thanks

Re: My first panic attack (I think)

Worrying about it will certainly focus the mind on potentially making it happening again tonight.

I've had 3 nights on the bounce when I've woke up now with crazy dreams that have forced me to wake. I've had an elevated heart rate and body tingles but I've done my best to recognise what is going in, ignore it, stop tensing up and let my breathing go back to a natural state and it stops fairly quickly.

Not nice but some acceptance and reading the science behind it has eased my mind.

Catch your mind before you start thinking the worst and feed the panic.

Re: My first panic attack (I think)

Great advice from Colin here. Learn about mindful breathing - you have to work on it but it's fantastic for bringing you down and helping you get back to sleep after a bad one.

Thread Information