Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colleagues hate having office windows open. (And I hate breathing in old air.) Help!

Colleagues hate having office windows open. (And I hate breathing in old air.) Help!

My OCD stems a lot around common, contagious viruses (colds etc) and, even though I'll admit to being over the top with hand-washing and (not) touching public surfaces as much as possible, I can’t help but feel that a lot of my behaviour is perfectly valid. I have actually studied transmission of common viruses and am only too aware of how they are spread. I guess my problem is that the idea of ‘catching’ a virus is to me unbearable, rather than a mere nuisance like it is to an average person (hence my OCD).

Anyway, I digress… My main problem at the moment is that I currently share an office with six other people who cannot stand having the window open. They seem to be perfectly content with breathing in the same air, day after day, even when someone is ill. Like today – someone is ill with a cold and seems to be proudly coughing and spluttering in their campaign to prove what a brave person they are to come into work and spread it to everyone else. I opened the window a tiny crack, and when I left the room, I came back to discover that they’ve closed it and put the electric heaters on full blast. It’s June for goodness sake!

Another colleague was even saying how she hopes she doesn’t catch the cold as she’s going away next week. So why close the window?? Do regular people genuinely not understand the importance of fresh air?? I later saw her eating with her hands even though she sits right next to the ill person. Do regular people not understand germ transmission? It’s a serious question! I can’t remember what it’s like not to think about this kind of thing.

Sorry for the whinge, I just find it so hard (impossible) to concentrate at work when I’m forced to conform to other people’s unsanitary ways. Is fresh air really that unbearable? Serious question - I can’t understand it.

I am worried about how I will cope in winter when germs are more rife!

Any advice welcome.

Re: Colleagues hate having office windows open. (And I hate breathing in old air.) He

Some people are warm people, and some people are cold people, and unfortunately within the office environment it's the majority rule. It may be unsanitary (I have no idea whether it is or isn't) but it may also be that your OCD is making you a little less than rational. (True personal story, I don't have OCD but I do have severe health anxiety and I will NEVER, EVER understand how the council can warn for icy pavements without doing something about it so nobody breaks anything or hits their head and dies )

This is a horrible thing to say, but my advice is to have a look at further treatment for your OCD, or maybe consider seeing if there's a spare room nearby where you can work with the window open without fear of anybody closing it on you. Offices are awful, but compromise is what makes the world go round.

Re: Colleagues hate having office windows open. (And I hate breathing in old air.) He

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    This is a horrible thing to say, but my advice is to have a look at further treatment for your OCD
    Why is that horrible? On the contrary, that advice is the absolute best advice and relevant for everyone on this forum. While this forum is great in knowing you're not alone and it can be cathartic to write out your thoughts and fears, its still just words on a screen and its up to the individual to take action. There are no magic words or techniques. Its hard work and an ongoing process to get well. Real life professional help and meds if needed have been and still are the most prudent and effective approach.

I mentioned this on Carnation's thread... Around 10% of the world's population suffers from mental illness. The other 90% don't or manage effectively. The world is not going to adapt to help that 10%. Its up to the sufferer to find ways to cope and adapt and that's the case here. While I'm sympathetic to the struggle, that's the reality.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you, I am well aware of the 'get treatment', 'it's your own responsibility, 'no one else can do it for you' rhetoric. How do you know that I'm not in treament?

I don't need an online intervention, I was hoping for a more colloquial, kindred level of support. The "just words on a screen" can make all the difference.

Thanks anyway.

I didn't say "get treatment," I said "consider getting further treatment" - there's a big difference.

Don't worry BlueIris, I was talking to Fishmanpa. Sorry I didn't make that clear, and thank you for your thoughtful reply, it made me feel better.

Oh, okay! Sorry, having a rough day here and I'm a bit oversensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipClop View Post
    I was talking to Fishmanpa.
    Sorry I didn't give you the reassurance you were seeking. Feel better soon.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Blueiris - No need to apologise, it was my mistake entirely. Thank you for being kind enough to share your story and reach out to me.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough day. I hope you can be kind to yourself and do whatever it is that makes you feel even slightly better this evening (a cat and a good TV show normally helps me).

Sending good vibes your way x
    Last edited by ClipClop; 10-06-19 at 16:55.

I do feel your pain, and I was recently the one with the cold coughing over 6 people. I can’t bear sitting near sniffing people either! But, it’s 5 to 1, so not much you can do. Just keep trying to open the window when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information