Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So scared. Brain tumour, dementia fears

So scared. Brain tumour, dementia fears

Hello

I am really scared about something that has been happening and really need some help.

Last week I was driving my car down a familiar road when I suddenly realised that I had missed the turning. Then for a moment I couldn't work out where I was. This scared me and has been playing on my mind ever since. Then, this morning I was driving to work and along my usual road. I was deep in thought when I suddenly looked around and did not recognise the road I was on. I kept telling myself that I was on a particular road and that at the end of it I would come to the roundabout and turn left. Which was correct. Everything looked unfamiliar. I am now scared I have a BT or early onset dementia (I am 50).

This has happened to me before over the years but this morning's seemed more intense. I had a brain MRI in Jan 2018, but I know something could have grown since then. I saw my doc last week and mentioned the previous occasion that it happened but she wasn't concerned.

This morning was so so scary. It wasn't like when you have been driving and suddenly find you are at your destination and can't remember how you got there! This was a feeling of panic when looking around and not recognising where I was.

Please help.

Re: So scared. Brain tumour, dementia fears

It was just a blip. Please don't worry about it?

Thank you, but I can't help but worry. I have heard of people who get lost while driving because they have dementia or a BT. I can't see how this was in any way normal or experienced by others.

I'm 42 and it happened to me at work last week, I was walking around the building, turned a corner and became completely disoriented.

Did you feel like you didn't recognise where you were?

Yes, completely. The reason you don't hear about it is because that it's not the sort of thing that people without anxiety pay attention to - they just shake their heads and move on.

I've read about people with BT or Dementia who did not recognise where they were etc. I am literally a nervous wreck about it all.

You were deep in thought, you had a brain blip. That's not dementia or a brain tumour, that's not being a robot.

Thank you BlueIris

When it happened the other week I could kind of accept it, because I had missed the turning, which made me confused. But this morning it seemed to last a bit longer and I was driving along my normal route. The feeling flooded me and my surroundings looked really unfamiliar. It wasn't until I saw the roundabout and usual signs that I was confident that I was on right road. I so want to believe this is nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by flatterycat View Post
    Thank you BlueIris

When it happened the other week I could kind of accept it, because I had missed the turning, which made me confused. But this morning it seemed to last a bit longer and I was driving along my normal route. The feeling flooded me and my surroundings looked really unfamiliar. It wasn't until I saw the roundabout and usual signs that I was confident that I was on right road. I so want to believe this is nothing to worry about.
    I’m only 25 and I’ve had times like that in an area I’ve lived my whole life.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information