Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Fears

Re: Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Fears

Don't worry if they send you for tests. I had a bunch during my MS scare. Blood tests etc. Their initial assessment they said I didn't have MS.

Keep in mind, if they think it's something (which it won't be), they could be seeing if it's something such as a vitamin deficiency etc.

I had blood tests, nerve conductivity study, brain MRI etc.
    Nothing.

I'm 21! I am on my placement year so staying at home.

I just come back from the doctors, initially feeling relieved. They think it is very unlikely I have MS, so did not refer me to any tests. They did say I could go to the opticians for an eye test if I wanted, but that would be for my reassurance, not because they thought I needed it. She said to self refer for CBT and gave me an anxiety leaflet she was working on.

Though there is this initial wave of relief I do still feel like there are things I forgot to tell her, or that I maybe didn't communicate to her too well. So I feel like my anxiety could cling onto that next it comes around.

She said that everyone has a gait to a certain extent and that I was likely just focusing on it more now. She did seem hesitant to say that stress and weird positions could make it worse, but definitely did say I needed more arch support and new shoes. So I am coming away from it feeling semi-relieved. I feel like there are some things that I am not totally satisfied with and my anxiety could run away with. I always knew it wouldn't cure me of my anxiety and completely reassure me. Its all just very difficult isn't it!

Seriously, sort out that CBT referral as soon as possible. If you do the homework they give you, it can make a huge difference.

I will do, I shall keep this thread updated. Just have to work out whether to get the CBT for my university place or my parents place. It may be a good idea to get a blood test for vitamin deficiencies too, I believe boots does both opticians appointments and blood tests? Again, thanks for all the support.

Quote Originally Posted by MisguidedDoddle View Post
    Having the doctors appointment today. Quite a bit nervous about it all. I forgot whether I booked it for 11:10 or 11:30! Regardless I will keep you posted about the results. In all honesty I am very much hoping she doesnt find any cause to send me off to tests, and tells me what I am experiencing is normal. I would be more worried if she offers me tests because that to me suggests she thinks something is wrong!
    Even if they do send you for tests i would not stress too much. For MS they will give you an MRI. They are looking for scarring on the brain. This on its own isnt enough for a diagnosis as perfectly healthy people can have this. Took me 9 years for a diagnosis as they need 2 episodes to confirm.

I had a lumber puncture as well but i think that was because of the MRI result.

I doubt very much you have anything to worry about but even if you did have it, most people with MS live perfectly normal lives. They have their problems but doesnt everyone? Please dont waste time worrying about this. Enjoy today and worry about what if, if it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by pav1984 View Post
    Even if they do send you for tests i would not stress too much. For MS they will give you an MRI. They are looking for scarring on the brain. This on its own isnt enough for a diagnosis as perfectly healthy people can have this. Took me 9 years for a diagnosis as they need 2 episodes to confirm.

I had a lumber puncture as well but i think that was because of the MRI result.

I doubt very much you have anything to worry about but even if you did have it, most people with MS live perfectly normal lives. They have their problems but doesnt everyone? Please dont waste time worrying about this. Enjoy today and worry about what if, if it comes.

That is all very true. My anxiety is the main driver, I know regardless of whether if I am or am not diagnosed my anxiety will still chase me. This isn't the end of the anxiety road whatever happens. I just feel so tired that I have to keep dealing with this. With life feeling like a struggle when nothing has actually even happened yet. I just hate feeling like this

It's exhausting, isn't it? I promise you won't always feel this bad, though.

Saturday I had the eye test, got the all clear there. I am going to the physio Tuesday to ask about my walk and the general tension in the lower body and neck, then have a doctors appointment next Friday. Also had the preliminary phone call from ThinkAction, they'll be getting back to me sometime next week about what kind of therapy/resources they can provide me. Feeling mixed at the moment, but better than I was last week

Starting to feel pretty bad again. I have this constant feeling of my throat being full. Whenever I eat anything I start feeling really sick and hot afterwards. I think its LPR, which is also known as silent reflux. I'm really worried that it's because a muscle is failing due to ms. A couple of times yesterday I felt a sharp burning pain across my left jaw, and also had a little bit of tingling around there. Worse thoughts are getting to me now I feel. I'm beginning to feel like I will never be stable again, or get out of this rut.

You will.

You're describing exactly what its like for everyone with HA.

I had it terrible 3 years ago. Much much better now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information