Thread: Low Ferritin but normal iron

Low Ferritin but normal iron

I gave birth to my daughter 3 months ago. Since then I’ve been feeling exhausted (normal with a new baby though right!), weak achy muscles, headaches and most recently shortness of breath.
    I have just received my blood test results back after I went to the doctor and it says I have low ferritin, low transferrin saturation and high total iron binding capacity so these are all out of range. However my actual iron is normal! I’m so confused and was wondering if anyone can interpret these for me as I now have to wait another week for a doctor to speak to me about these which is a long time for someone with health anxiety :( Im worried I have internal bleeding or something as my iron levels were fine throughout my pregnancy

Re: Low Ferritin but normal iron

My wife also had low feritin last year. She wasn't pregnant and doesn't have internal bleeding .

Start taking some good iron supplement and you are good to go.

Thank you. Did she have similar symptoms to this and how long did it take her to start feeling a bit more human? I’ve picked up some spatone just now until I’m able to speak to doctor properly so hopefully that helps. I keep reading that it’s not uncommon in woman but my mind just jumps to the worst situation as usual!

Ferritin level test shows the amount of iron being stored in the body (in the liver), ready for use in the bloodstream. A store cupboard, if youj will. I am not a medic, so bear with me here, and I will explain it as I think it is based on my own sporadic anaemia issues, and hope someone will correct me if I am wrong. Once the ferritin is used up, and if not replaced, then you gradually become anaemic and the blood shows less haemoglobin and you start to get the symptoms of tiredness, breathless and so on. I often have very poor stores of ferritin and also my blood test shows anaemia unless I keep taking iron. I presume that you are saying that your blood count showed normal red blood cell level. However, I will say 'normal' is a range, and you could be low on that range and starting to feel symptoms that you describe. Obviously, you need a discussion with your doctor about the possible causes, but it is possible that your stores gradually went down during pregnancy, (have you started periods yet?) or is dietary or related to the demands on your body if you are breast-feeding.
    Last edited by Carys; 11-06-19 at 22:13.

Thank you Carys that makes perfect sense. I haven’t actually seen my results yet, just received them over phone from receptionist. Waiting to see doctor to discuss with her properly. I’m thinking my stores have maybe just run down due to pregnancy, childbirth, demands from breastfeeding, postpartum bleeding etc. I have had one period but it was very light and didn’t last long. Here’s hoping it’s an easy enough fix with iron supplements!

Thread Information