Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing so well, now my dog.

Doing so well, now my dog.

Hey folks, just popping on for a first for me.

I have had dogs my entire life. The whole thing. Dogs have helped me through the roughest times of my life, and been close friends when it felt I didn't have many elsewhere. They are very important to me. They were there, part of my family before I was born, and will be with me my entire life. The only time I had less than three dogs was in college, and I still had two then.

Just last September we adopted a young, two year old shelter pit bull. In the countless dogs I have fostered and lived with, she might be the very sweetest of them all. So grateful to be lifted from a hard life. So happy, all the time. One of those companions that makes you wonder where they have been your whole life.

Well, very suddenly, I mean in the space of one day, she developed a pretty large growth on her neck. I am hoping it is some sort of inflammation, because that seems pretty fast for even aggressive cancer, but tried all the vet's tricks in the book medicine wise (allergy meds, anti inflammatory), and no result. It has only been a couple days, but it is still there and still the same. I have an appointment for with the vet a week from tomorrow, as they are very busy, that was the soonest I could squeeze in.

It could be anything. I obviously don't practice veterinary medicine. But the thing is, this brought back all my old anxiety, the catastrophizing, the obsessive feeling of the lump, even the googling, which I talked myself into thinking it was okay because "this was for my dog." I recognize this all as the anxiety, but then this lump is definitely not in my imagination. It is obvious just looking at her, maybe 3-4 inches long, half that wide, just below the skin in the tissue. It honestly doesn't feel like a limpoma, which our oldest dog has plenty of.

The logical part of me knows that, even if it IS a tumor, which it may well not be, it has at least a 50-50 shot at being benign. (Thanks google).

When I have lost older dogs over the years, it is absolutely sad, and crushing, but there is comfort in knowing you had the time together, a lifetime for them. You gave them a full, long life, and they gave you a lifetime of unconditional love, which I hope they felt in return. And, I have lost a few younger dogs over the years, and it breaks me down the middle. But this girl, she is so special to me, just the possibility that this cancer is breaking me. It is like I can't even access the CBT I have learned, and wake early, in a panic.

The one thing that keeps me rocking, is your words Fishmanpa.
    "It's not cancer until it's cancer."
    So thanks for that, for sure.

Just venting, and maybe warning other pet lovers that if you haven't gone down the rabbit hole of anxiety over a health issue with them, it absolutely applies. Don't google. Just go to the vet and have them take a peek. I guess that is my cautionary tale here.

Re: Doing so well, now my dog.

Due to the speed that it has come up it does sound like an abscess. I am gobsmacked that you are having to wait so long for an appointment.

Both my dogs had tumours removed last year and both were cancerous but they both made a full recovery afterwards.

Hope all goes well for your both.

Thanks Ellen! Glad your guys/gals are doing well!

I feel a bit better now, sort of got my feet under me. Anxiety for me, when it rears its head, is always worse when I wake up.

The appointment is a comedy of errors. It is a busy time here for vets because of lyme disease and summer folks coming back. Add to that two vets of a clinic of six are out on maternity leave, and one away for conferences, and the only good place in town to take your pet is now overwhelmed. Just one of those things.

Thanks again for the response, I really do feel a bit better now. Was just having one of those mornings.

Even so I'm surprised. They will know how painful something like that can be. Have they provided a good amount of meds to cover her with the follow up being so long? I agree with Elen about the abscess and would hope they would recognise the difference between possible cancer and this. Give her lots of love, it's the best medicine for an unwell pooch

I hear you Lofwyr... Our fur babies are loved as much as our own children and frankly, I think we spoil them more. When I was going through cancer, our boy (Pixie Bob) never left my side. He's been under the weather with an intestinal problem for the last two weeks. The vet seems to think its just a sensitive stomach. Per her recommendation, we bought a sensitive stomach food and pro-biotics and have been switching him over (he's VERY picky) and it seems to be working. He's a bit more active and interactive the last couple of days but we're still worried nonetheless and listen for the squirts when he hits the litter box. She said as long as he's eating and drinking, he'll be Ok (and he is).

Like Elen said, it sounds like your girl has an abscess or bite reaction for it to come up that fast. I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Glad you're feeling better. Let us know how she gets on.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Do you have a per ER in your area? My cat always got severely sick out of regular hours and we've had to use the ER a few times. It costs more (usually $100 just for being there), but great to get service the same day when you're worried!

Quote Originally Posted by lofwyr View Post
    Hey folks, just popping on for a first for me.

I have had dogs my entire life. The whole thing. Dogs have helped me through the roughest times of my life, and been close friends when it felt I didn't have many elsewhere. They are very important to me. They were there, part of my family before I was born, and will be with me my entire life. The only time I had less than three dogs was in college, and I still had two then.

Just last September we adopted a young, two year old shelter pit bull. In the countless dogs I have fostered and lived with, she might be the very sweetest of them all. So grateful to be lifted from a hard life. So happy, all the time. One of those companions that makes you wonder where they have been your whole life.

Well, very suddenly, I mean in the space of one day, she developed a pretty large growth on her neck. I am hoping it is some sort of inflammation, because that seems pretty fast for even aggressive cancer, but tried all the vet's tricks in the book medicine wise (allergy meds, anti inflammatory), and no result. It has only been a couple days, but it is still there and still the same. I have an appointment for with the vet a week from tomorrow, as they are very busy, that was the soonest I could squeeze in.

It could be anything. I obviously don't practice veterinary medicine. But the thing is, this brought back all my old anxiety, the catastrophizing, the obsessive feeling of the lump, even the googling, which I talked myself into thinking it was okay because "this was for my dog." I recognize this all as the anxiety, but then this lump is definitely not in my imagination. It is obvious just looking at her, maybe 3-4 inches long, half that wide, just below the skin in the tissue. It honestly doesn't feel like a limpoma, which our oldest dog has plenty of.

The logical part of me knows that, even if it IS a tumor, which it may well not be, it has at least a 50-50 shot at being benign. (Thanks google).

When I have lost older dogs over the years, it is absolutely sad, and crushing, but there is comfort in knowing you had the time together, a lifetime for them. You gave them a full, long life, and they gave you a lifetime of unconditional love, which I hope they felt in return. And, I have lost a few younger dogs over the years, and it breaks me down the middle. But this girl, she is so special to me, just the possibility that this cancer is breaking me. It is like I can't even access the CBT I have learned, and wake early, in a panic.

The one thing that keeps me rocking, is your words Fishmanpa.
    "It's not cancer until it's cancer."
    So thanks for that, for sure.

Just venting, and maybe warning other pet lovers that if you haven't gone down the rabbit hole of anxiety over a health issue with them, it absolutely applies. Don't google. Just go to the vet and have them take a peek. I guess that is my cautionary tale here.
    This is a time when anxiety is totally normal and ok. Yes this is very scary. Ive owned in my life 11 dogs and have 5 now. Ive lost 6 to cancer and yes it sucks. It cold be cancer or it could be benign. Appearing so fast its most likely an abcess or infection ID say vet immediately. I really have no words to comfort you as I would be a wreck too my only words are that your anxiety at this time is normal. Do not beat your self up for worrying.

Ah I know that feeling worrying about your dog! I had a shar pei who sadly got lymphoma which was a lump on the neck BUT it was slow growth and we found it quite small and it took nearly 10 months for the lump to become huge, so like others have said if it has come on suddenly it is most likely an abscess or infection.

I now have another shar pei and I am constantly worried about him when he gets things wrong with him, he had a sudden skin growth appear under his fur which kept getting bigger, of course I thought skin cancer but turned out he had got bitten and got infected by rolling around in muddy waters

You guys are a dream, thanks for the stories and kind words. Yeah, in my girl's case, it wasn't there in the morning, and was in the evening, at least as far as we could tell. She was chewed up on her belly pretty badly by flies earlier in the week. We are hoping it is something along those lines.

Thanks guys!

That really sounds like a bug bite. I’ve had quite a few dogs with cancer and it was sometimes very fast but not that fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information