Thread: High potassium

High potassium

Hi,

I am a little concerned about my last two blood tests as my potassium levels are a little high but my GFR for kidneys was 79 which they say is normal.

I went to the doctor on Friday last week because I was having wheezing after a hard work out on Monday and I started to get a sore spot on my right chest so the doctor sent me for an EKG, blood, and xray and they all were normal except the Friday blood test had my potassium at 5.4 so the doctor called me yesterday and said everything was normal except my potassium and then she asked me if I'm taking any supplements to which I replied no except a men's vitamin called Active X and 4000 IUs of vit D. She said it could be a false positive so sent me for another blood test and it came back at 5.0. Now 5.0 is considered normal but it is at the threshold of high, and I'm a little worried because I had this happen a couple of years ago and the doctor at that time said it happens all the time because of how they handle the blood sample so he sent me back for a repeat a day later and I was normal, but this time it is high normal.

My GFR was 79 and blood pressure was excellent. I am 44 male and work out 4-5 days per week, and am healthy although my diet could be better. I like my beers on the weekend and I am trying to get to my goal weight of 170 lbs to which I am currently 188 lbs.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you,

Re: High potassium

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

There are similar threads if you scroll down to the bottom - have a read of those to see what the outcome was

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you Nicola, I have read throught them, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice, and if they went through the same thing what they did. These old topics don't really spell it out.

Nobody here has had this happen before? My doctors don't seem worried but then you read on the Kidney sites that they call it mild kidney function loss. Who do I believe?

Believe the doctor

Thread Information