Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In my mind... Chest pain = heart issues.

Unhappy I will likely need aortic valve replacement surgery and I'm scared and depressed.

So, last year, the doctors discovered that I had a rather leaky aortic valve after I went for a checkup for palpitations. The thing is, the doctor mentioned that the only option for this would be valve replacement surgery (open-heart surgery) and I'm deathly afraid. Even though my doctor knew I had health anxiety, he really didn't hold back when explaining all the potential risks and complications to me (which I understand he is legally obliged to do). I almost burst into tears in the office right there and then (and I'm a guy! Not that I'm trying to be sexist or anything). While I know that with the current level of medical technology, this is a more or less "routine" major surgery, it's still major nonetheless. To top things off, I have a connective tissue disorder (which evidently was responsible for the valve's failure in the first place) that makes my risk much higher (a whopping 30% mortality rate in other similar cases. Thanks, doc). Because of this, minimally invasive valve replacement isn't even recommended by my doc as they want to have full access in case something happens. It took a couple of months after this appointment to get myself out of this funk, but the results of the next 6-month followup have brought me right back to square one as my heart has increased in size and the ejection fraction has worsened.

To boil things down, I'm afraid of three things. One, that I will not wake up from surgery. Two, the pain and discomfort that will come from the recovery process (intubation, chest tube removal, etc...). Three, that damage might occur and that I'll have to permanently alter my lifestyle because of it (blood-thinners, dialysis that comes with kidney failure, etc...)

Right now, I feel like I'm just biding my time until symptoms start and I'll have to undergo the surgery and it's not making it easy for me to look forward to anything in my life, knowing that it will only bring me closer and closer to that promised date. I feel like, at 30, that my life has been unfairly cut short. I've been contemplating writing a will, but I don't know if that will make things better or worse mentally. I still have so many things I want to do and experience but rushing to get all these things done is not how I want to go about doing it. I'm scared to commit to anything from new relationships to new jobs because I feel that I'm just going to disappoint the people around me by not being there to see things through.

If anyone here has undergone open-heart surgery, I'd love to hear any words of comfort, advice or support. My doctor says that it's not a death sentence. But I just don't have it in my heart (ha.) to believe that.
    Last edited by Dracom; 06-06-19 at 18:17.

Re: I will likely need aortic valve replacement surgery and I'm scared and depressed.

I had a triple bypass in 2007 and a member of the 'zipper club'. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it's not fun. I'm still here and have the scar to prove it. You're going to hurt. You're going to be sore for a couple of months BUT, it really is a science and you'll be fine. You're going to get the good drugs too

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 06-06-19 at 22:14.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: I will likely need aortic valve replacement surgery and I'm scared and depressed.

I'm so sorry to read your story and can feel your distress - it isn't really hypochondria you are struggling with it is entirely rational and understandable fear and concern about an actual medical condition, which currently feels like 'catch 22'. (sorry I can't relate to the heart issue as haven't had surgery)I think you need some clear counselling and assistance in dealing with what you are facing at (a fairly) young age. I don't know what the situation is like for mental health assistance in instances such as this, but in the UK we have trained counsellors and support networks for various conditions. You need people around you that you can talk to about all your fears, those who can guide you through. Can your doctor or consultant put you in touch with an agency or anyone who can support you to work through the things that you need to ?

In my mind... Chest pain = heart issues.

Since about a week ago, I've been getting quite rough chest aches. While these aches seem to be completely muscular in nature, only hurting when I move, tense my chest or poke it, in my mind, any and all chest pain or discomfort instantly signals heart troubles (especially because I have an issue with my aortic valve). Though, I have no accompanying shortness of breath.

I have been to the doctor and they did an ECG for me which turned out fine. As-is, the chest pain seems to be non-specific and according to the doctor, should go away within a week or two. Though, I know that you can still have symptoms of heart failure even though the ECG is fine... GAH, my mind can't stop wandering. Curse the mind of a hypochondriac.

(My other suspicion is that it could have been something to do with the fact that I have been forced to hang around my cousins who have been sick with the flu. Though, I haven't had any similar symptoms other than this chest pain. Can you get chest pain from the flu?)

Re: In my mind... Chest pain = heart issues.

Well just remind yourself of the title of this thread.

'In your mind'

And stop reading stuff on Google.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information