Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to wash/dry clothes when drying outside isn't an option?

Re: How to wash/dry clothes when drying outside isn't an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Ok... realistically, until treatment starts what options do you have that could help with the amount of wash and the issue of drying them. I stand by my suggestion of cutting out one pair of pants. Just ONE pair. That's one less to wash and one less to dry. That goes for whatever else you're changing.... socks, shirts, underwear etc. Just ONE.

You could take out two pair in the morning and lay them out. Choose one to start and the other to change but put a time limit on it. Say no changing until 1pm no matter what. Look, I know your OCD will scream in protest but you have to start somewhere
    Ok I know I know. I suppose it's because I always get thoughts like "well if I don't change/wash, then I'll contaminate other things" (like my bedding, for example) and get myself into a state, so I panic and give in very easily but I know you are right. I will definitely try to postpone some of my compulsions at least, and may well even start with the trousers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    As far as drying them? You're doing all you can do under the circumstances so.....

Positive thoughts
    Perhaps, but I'd say it's in the top two of my biggest challenges right now so I'm still after that magic solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    I'm still after that magic solution!
    No words on a forum or pill replace real life professional help and hard work It comes down to YOU!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Have you tried inserting as much as time between the pull to perform the compulsion and the act itself? Adding in distraction activites? Or making the objects hard to access e.g. if you were obsessively checking a phone you could bury in a draw at the other side of the house under a load of stuff and lock it up.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Have you tried inserting as much as time between the pull to perform the compulsion and the act itself? Adding in distraction activites? Or making the objects hard to access e.g. if you were obsessively checking a phone you could bury in a draw at the other side of the house under a load of stuff and lock it up.
    It depends on the situation. Sometimes the anxiety is just so powerful that I give in immediately, like 2 days ago when I went through 5 pairs of trousers; other times, the anxiety can be awful but just about tolerable so to put off the immediate need to act out the compulsion - like today; I had a panic and threw out my belt after using the loo (gave in), and I also felt that my hands were not clean unless I cut my nails before I washed my hands (and didn't have any nail clippers!), so had to put it off until I could buy some (which I did, but I didn't do so in a panicked way and I feel okay about not having cleaned them when I wanted to - didn't give in straight away!) so although I may feel horrendous at times, I do/can put it off, but ultimately I almost always give in, in the end.

What I am trying to - as often as possible - is to put myself through that anxiety. I actually feel quite proud of myself today, so I hope that sets a precedent; that if I struggle again or relapse, I can hold onto what I have achieved today.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information