Thread: Strange period while on BC.

Strange period while on BC.

Hey all, long time no see. I've been doing pretty well but have hit a bit of a struggle...

I'm currently on an ortho-tri cyclen type birth control (Tri Lo Marzia). I've been on it for around two years now I believe and have generally been doing just fine.

I'm not always great at taking the pills (I know, bad) but I'm not using it for birth control but rather to ease up my painful, heavy periods and I also had to go on it for Accutane. I never miss a bunch at a time, but I might miss a day here and there. Naturally this effects my bleeding which I expected. I missed one a little over a week ago and my bleeding started, but I was almost to the placebo week so I figured I'd just roll with it. But because my bleeding had started, I decided to skip the placebo week and start on my new pack so that I could just make it stop and move on.

I'm now on day 3 of my new pack and have been bleeding for about a week now. It's not horrible, but sometimes it's light and sometimes it's heavier (though the actual blood is pretty thin, but I did have a couple small clots today). I have slight cramping but nothing crazy. It's to the point where I think it's over because my pad is dry and then it kind of starts again.

Should I go in to the lady doctor just for a check up? I think my next appointment is over 3 months away which is a long time to wait. I'm just totally unsure because I'm not sure if it's helpful to go in when I'm bleeding - what can they find? Can they even do an exam? I'm also obviously afraid of the results and of the costs - I do have pretty good insurance but I'm not sure what the limits are beyond regular exams, or if they were doing some sort of more invasive testing.

So just...help. I'm not especially knowledgeable in this arena and I'm so unsure of what to do. Go in and get it checked? Wait it out and see if the bleeding stops?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Strange period while on BC.

I always had trouble on that type of birth control and would always get breakthrough bleeding.

I'd just call your doctor and leave a message with the receptionist. It's possible your doctor will just give you a call back with insight/advice on any changes you should make with taking the pills.

It seems logical that it's connected to the pill and nothing else, but even if they wanted to see you you'd just pay your copay for the visit in most cases. And, they can do an exam even if you're bleeding.

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I'll give them a call.

I'd honestly just switch BC or go off it all together, but more than anything I'm just paranoid that my acne would come back. Which is probably unfounded and petty but it was bad and post BC + Accutane it's been a dream. The shorter periods and lessened cramps are nice, too.

Hi how did u get on got same thing mysef

Hi Hopefull,

Well, my bleeding stopped and I'm feeling better now so I didn't actually go in; I'm going to see if it evens out after my next round of placebo pills which will be in about a week.

I hope you are feeling better!

Thread Information