Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Breast diagnosis

Re: Breast diagnosis

Praying for you and your wife!!

The doubts and concerns keep coming up despite all the advice in the literature we read. Still another week before we get to see the consultant about the next steps.

Is it worth asking about appointment cancellations and being put on the list should one come up?

Or considering getting a private appointment if this is doable?

It is tough you are having to wait before the next 'treatment discussion' appointment, but don't worry it won't mean any delay (in terms of the NICE guidelines) on treatment starting, nor will it make any difference regarding changes in the bc. Doubts and concerns sadly will last for many throughout the process, for some they continue after treatment and for a lonnnngggg time - you are VERY early in this process yet, so give it time.

Both getting the panics coming up to the consultation about her treatment. Suddenly it's become real again after being in limbo since the diagnosis.

No idea what to say here, but I wanted you to know I'm thinking of you both and hoping for the best.

I think you will both feel better after you have seen the consultant because you will have a treatment plan and will be able to ask any questions you want.

Yes it will be "real" now but being in limbo is worse and your wife will be in expert hands and will be being treated so every day is a day towards recovery.

You don't want to be sitting around waiting. You need things to happen and they are.

Wishing you both all the very best for the consultation and I hope you come away feeling stronger.

The meeting has taken place today and they have advised they will be taking 3cm of tissue away which is double the size of the growth and the lymph node, now we are awaiting for the appointment.
    This will be followed by aftercare as required. Will this be a keyhole removal as she will be allowed home the same day if there are no reactions to the surgery, we weren't quite certain on the procedure although we have loads of papers and booklets to look at but find them a bind to go through just now.

Hiyer, generally lumpectomy - which is the procedure your wife is having (It is also sometimes called 'breast conserving surgery')- is done as day surgery in most cases, providing everything goes well with the GA. Infact I was home just after lunchtime after having had it done in the morning with GA. It is done as a 'wide local incision', and she will have a dressing over the area they they take the tissue from. The dressing, and waterproof covering (usually) will be on for a few days, maybe up to 7, and they will then see your wife to check on the site of the surgery. The node they are removing, I am presuming is the sentinel node for the area, located under the arm-pit. (I am aware I am making presumptions here, so tell me if I've not quite right) This is the first node that generally lymphatic fluid would travel to from the tumour site, therefore it would be the first one that would show signs (IF there were any) of cancer cells being collected. For many women, this sentinel node is biopsided during surgery time, so that the surgeon can decide if to remove another few nodes of not depending on if cancer cells are found in it. For some women, the lymph node biopsy results take a little while to come back, and the surgeon will need to decide if to do a second surgery and remove further nodes. Have they told you what type of BC your wife has?

Does the operation affect the shape and size of the breast as she has been advised to get some front fastening bras .

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information