Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Breast diagnosis

Re: Breast diagnosis

Hiyer,

The front fastening bras aren't to do with size and shape - that is because it can become hard to do up a rear fastening bra after surgery, with a somewhat stiff shoulder and dressing under the arm etc and certainly underwired are a no-no. I did buy front-fastening and found them quite a pain as they put pressure under my arm surgery site as I tried to pull them across the front, but some people get on with them very well, and some prefer to do up the rear fastening type by doing it at the front and them sliding it back round to the back. Some people can't get on with bras at all, and prefer some strong support cropped bra tops. It all depends on what she finds the most comfortable and its worth going along to test some. Some good cheap, very supportive, M and S sports bras would do the job pretty well (the idea is that they don't want the breast moving after surgery). Infact if you go into M and S and explain the situation, they can devote someone to you to advise on appropriate styles. SHe will need to be wearing her bras day and night after the surgery for a while.

So she could go and get the bras now and they will be ok?

Yes, she must get them now, as she will need to put them on immediately after surgery before leaving the hospital. There won't be a change in size (apart from the dressings there obviously and a possibly 'dented area' where the tissue removal was, although over the following 6 months mine filled in on its own). There 'could' be over the following weeks some build up of fluid in the breast, as the lymph nodes re-learn how to send the fluid in different directions, but thats only a possible and anyway you've still need the same firm bra and size.

They have notified her the operation will be at the end of July.

We have a letter saying they propose to fit a marker to the cancer, does this take long as she has this appointment at 3pm and another previous appointment at 4pm for stomach issues at 4pm the same day.

Carys is away for a couple of weeks, kestral. It may be better to contact the breast cancer charity helpline which she recommended for accurate information. There must be a lot of information which you need to help with the waiting process which can be very hard.

Kestral, have you joined a breast cancer forum? Like I said, when I was going through my battle, the information, advice and support from real warriors and their caregivers was invaluable. They would be better equipped to answer questions pertaining to treatment and such. I agree with Pulisa. The clinic would be a quick call and answer to your question. From my experience, doctor appointments typically never run on schedule. Worst case you re-schedule the stomach appt.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Today the marker is being fitted, still 3 weeks before the operation. We are doing our normal routine without overdwelling on things but a few panicky feeling creep in occasionally.

Marker fitted, said the cancer had grown slightly, wife sore from implant, now we move on to pre op on thursday.

Basically, from here forward, things will be kind of a blur. Make sure you have a notebook or something you can jot down what they say and any questions you have. Your anxiety will take a back seat moving forward and your focus will be on your wife and her recovery. Like I said, get tips and advice from fellow warriors and their caregivers. Sending as always....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information