Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Breast diagnosis

Re: Breast diagnosis

It truly sounds like you're in good hands with the medical team. She's got this as do you!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

She had the operation this morning and had the tumor removed along with a section of lymph node but hasn't had a drain fitted.

Hiyer Kestral, is she home? How did it go ? You only get a drain fitted for mastectomy usually, or massive amount of tissue removal.

She said it went well, the biggest problem was finding her veins in her arms. brought her home about 3.30 and she won't sop eating now. Do you have any advice about what she can or can't do for the next few days.

Just wanted to say that I'm so glad the op is over. I'm sure she'll be sore once the pain meds wear off though.

Thanks pulisa, I expect she will but she is the sort that will push to the limit and I don't want her to go to fast, that is why I wondered what was advisable

Hi

I would advise, to your wife -

Plenty of sleeping space, lying on back, with arm out sideways on extra pillows - a spare room/bed if you have it.

Wear support bra at night and day.

Do the stretches in the bcc file, there should be a leaflet there listing them if not ask your BCN, to help keep mobility good in the shoulder.

Driving is really hard at first, the seat-belt and general use of the controls make it painful - test that carefully after a few days to see if you feel your behaviours and reactions in the driving seat are as they should be.

Take is easy for a couple of days, as the GA does take time to wear off.

Don't do repetitive movements with the arm on the affected side e.g. vacumming for a few days to a week maybe, don't lift anything heavy and try and spend time with a small cushion on your waist to keep your arm from pressing down onto your side.

There is no reason why she shouldn't move around as freely as she feels comfortable, or go for walks etc.

I was ok with pain afterwards actually, and didn't even need paracetamol, though I have a tendency not to use pain-killers anyway. If I felt pain then I moved position or stopped doing what I was doing - however, take painkillers if needed.

Wash with great care - keeping areas dry

Showering and bathing are really really hard after this surgery, tricky with dexterity and also areas need to be kept dry, so I filled a bath and sat in it and used a flannel with the other hand to do the best I could.

Baby wipes can be used to clean under the arm of the side where the lymph node was removed from.

Your wife will need help with washing her hair

Thanks again cerys with your advice along the way taking the time and answering my questions relevant or not.
    You are a very special lady in giving me support when I badly needed it.

Bless you, thats ok. We all need 'someone' at times of distress.

I hope she's comfortable and able to relax a bit after the op. I'm sure you're being the perfect"nurse"!!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information