Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Given meds for Reflux - Allergy and Side effect fear

Re: Given meds for Reflux - Allergy and Side effect fear

I have started, it's difficult to concentrate on anything when I'm in pain.

I've barely been eating (because I feel sick all of the time) so there's not much to write down lol

I know it's tough, but you need to try and keep your routine as normal as possible. Mental illness thrives on attention; as far as possible you need to try and maintain a semblance of normality.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM1994 View Post
    I ate lunch around 2 hours ago....I ate some hard food with my lunch
    What have you eaten today? Breakfast? What exactly did you consume? Did you take your PPI and if so, what time?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I had Rice Krispies, both normal and wholegrain with a small amount of milk with no reaction
    for lunch I had a Chicken and Sweetcorn sandwich (had this yesterday with no problems too), and attempted to eat a bag of ready salted crisps which didn't go well at all, however the burning has now settled back down to a manageable level.

My first dose of Lansoprazole was taken late afternoon yesterday with the consultant so I'm going to continue this pattern, I will be taking it as soon as I get home from work and continuing that pattern (will be an hour before I eat dinner)

Again I'm really sorry for keep bugging you all, it must be annoying keep seeing me pipe up.

This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me and I'm just scared in all honesty. However, it is a wake up call and I'm definitely going to be taking steps to better my life, move out of my parents home and better my situation.
    Providing this turns out to be nothing serious that is

Thank you all for your time, even though you don't have to reply to me

Just from experience and medication recommendations, the best time to take your PPI is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Give it 30-45 minutes until you eat. Speak to your doctor about it first but sometimes you can take it twice a day. In your case, late afternoon or evening before dinner may be advisable. Again, you've only had one dose. Its not an overnight thing.

Wheat products and whole milk are on the do not eat list (read the info in the link I posted!).

We can post helpful advice till tomorrow but its up to YOU to take it on and follow it

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

I would take the omeprazole in the morning 30 minutes before you eat.

Are you in the UK? Buy some gaviscon, it’s the only thing that really worked for me. It’s completely safe with omeprazole - my GP told me so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree Fishman about the food - I love tomatoes in a sandwich, but they really do go for the reflux. Anything with skin on it - in fact, just looking at a sausage roll gives me reflux. Probably not a bad thing considering, but we do have to indulge every now and again (I probably do it too much but hey)

To the OP: Take the dose, as others have said, as soon as you waken up. Leave it beside your bed, or if you brush your teeth first thing, leave it beside the sink. If you're finding that the reflux is worse at night, that's because you're lying down. You could either take your dose then or, ideally, an extra dose.

Some people are prescribed the 15mg of Lansoprazole (about as useful as 2mg diazepam - e.g. not very) so you may want to ask about upping the dose to 30mg if you're not already on it. Again, check with your doctor. You could also try another version, perhaps Esomeprazole (Nexium).

Either way damage to the oesophagus takes a long time. I had uncontrolled daily reflux every day from my early teenage years (and as I said previously, perhaps even earlier) and it wasn't until 18/19 I began treating it. So ~6/7+ years of reflux, and my oesophagus was normal on endoscopy.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    Agree Fishman about the food - I love tomatoes in a sandwich, but they really do go for the reflux. Anything with skin on it - in fact, just looking at a sausage roll gives me reflux. Probably not a bad thing considering, but we do have to indulge every now and again (I probably do it too much but hey)

To the OP: Take the dose, as others have said, as soon as you waken up. Leave it beside your bed, or if you brush your teeth first thing, leave it beside the sink. If you're finding that the reflux is worse at night, that's because you're lying down. You could either take your dose then or, ideally, an extra dose.
    That's another thing about reflux. If you eat too late in the evening, that as well as what you eat and the amount can play havoc with reflux. Try to have your evening meal no later than 6pm and limit your portion so you're not overeating. Lying down with a full belly is a sure fire way to trigger it. Again, stick with the FODMAP recommendations and keep a journal (you can download it on the site I linked.

I hear you RGaGa... I love tomatoes, pasta with red sauce, pizza etc. but they don't love me! As recommended Ryan, keep some Mylanta/Gaviscon around. Comes in handy for breakthrough reflux and when you 'indulge, eat something you shouldn't have and pay for it.

Positive thoughts

Why does no one believe me :(

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information