Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Given meds for Reflux - Allergy and Side effect fear

Re: Given meds for Reflux - Allergy and Side effect fear

Thanks for that ankietyjoe, really made me put things in perspective. Had a really good day yesterday, was finally able to eat properly.
    I had corn flakes with a small amount of milk for breakfast
    Steak + jacket potato + peas for lunch (was a special lunch with work)
    Fish cake, mash and mixed veg for dinner.

Was soo happy with this.

Today I woke up feeling good too, managed to eat my cornflakes and have ultimately felt better until just now.

I'm getting like a gripping feeling in my stomach, followed by feeling sick followed by belching.
    Trying not to panic and keep positive, hopefully it's just where it's healing.

Anyone had this before?

Also, from tomorrow, at the request of my doctor I will be taking 2x the 30mg of Lansoprazole which I'm slightly nervous about, even though he gave me a choice.
    He told me it would help it heal quicker and reduce the acid symptoms even more.

The thing to consider here is that you are in a state of high anxiety a lot of the time. This alone is MORE than enough to create digestion issues, it's one of the most common symptoms people suffer with anxiety. Combine this with overeating and general lack of exercise, you get the picture?

Take medication to suppress stomach acid to remove a symptom.....this is what I'm not keen on. What happens when anxiety creates another new symptom in a month or two (which it will). Do you then start taking a separate medication for that too?

In the short term, PPI's won't do you any harm, but it's not solving a problem. It's merely suppressing a normal bodily function to remove a symptom that you don't like experiencing. Even the Doctor is saying 'reducing symptoms'.

For me, the best way to approach this is to keep a note of everything you eat, eat less of what you already eat, get out and exercise more, take ACV twice a day and deal with the actual problem here which is the anxiety. I also started intermittent fasting to solve my reflux issues (only eating in an 8 hour period in the day) and that helps massively too.

This thread is merely the repeated message that you don't want to take PPI's, but you also don't want to have reflux........at some point you need to do something other than ask a Doctor or convey the same message again on a forum. You need to try something else, and stick to it every day.

In fact....go back to your very first post. Your Doctor is telling you it's due to anxiety and STILL wants to medicate it. I find that ridiculous.
    Last edited by ankietyjoe; 21-06-19 at 13:37.

It's like a circle though. I mean I don't even know if that's what caused the digestion issues but it's definitely a contributing factor.

I had burning, bloating, gas and pain CONSTANTLY for 5 days, I couldn't swallow because it hurt so much, my throat was red and swollen and my mouth sore (I am still getting most of these on and off) I couldn't get relief with anything and I was scared of how much damage I was doing and have done.
    I was in a dilemma, do I take the meds or do I just wait for a stomach ulcer (if I haven't got one already) and possibly worse. And honestly, I'm kinda glad I'm taking them at the moment.

Considering I'm still getting acid symptoms on and off now and my anxiety is at a lower level, and I'm eating A LOT healthier and less than I was before I have no clue what is going on but this has reduced the symptoms massively.

My doctor gave me these meds to try and break the cycle since my anxiety was focusing on that and I was in a terrible state. I couldn't even function normally.
    I'm awaiting CBT, I start that on the 29th July so a long way off yet, but that has the possibility of escalating to proper counselling this time.

My doctor is of the opinion that this will all heal and clear up and I'll get back to being normal again but I feel like something else is going on. I'm trying not to focus on it at the moment though

I also go away next weekend for my birthday and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to eat properly and join in with everyone else.

Controlling/healing from Refux is not an overnight process. I know this from personal experience. I know I'm just repeating myself but it takes some discipline. I gave you links and advice and I stand by that (cut out cow's milk and go with almond milk for one). You say your anxiety is less but your posting contradicts that. You've also set yourself up for failure by saying you know you won't eat well which will no doubt take you a step backwards. You can still have a great birthday and eat properly

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Even if you took antacids right now they're unlikely to solve the issue by next weekend. There is a common misconception that changes in symptoms can be zapped away quickly, and that's almost never the case unfortunately.

So for example, you say your anxiety levels are lower now, but even so the symptoms can last for weeks or months afterwards. They can be lower in intensity, but they never just stop overnight.

I'm not sure if you've already taken the PPI's from the post you just made. I think you are, but now he wants you to double the dose?

But again, the Doctor has told you that anxiety was most likely causing it AND he's said it'll clear up and go away, but still wants to increase medication. It just seems odd. Because you're suppressing symptoms, as soon as you stop taking them it'll come back again.

But as you say, if you feel it's going to break the mental cycle, you need to do what's best for you. Just don't rely on the pills to allow you to keep eating poorly and not focusing on your mental recovery as well.

His exact explanation to me was that taking double the dose (morning and evening) would suppress the symptoms and allow the inflammation to heal.
    Which also allows the anxiety to go.

Effectively from the doctors point of view it's going like this: Severe reflux/indigestion from HUGE amounts of anxiety over an extended period of time, which I left for 5 days untreated and was there CONSTANTLY, sleeping, awake, whenever. It felt like the acid was constantly at my throat/mouth, even though it probably wasn't because I would have choked etc.
    That would have caused the pain and inflammation which is causing more anxiety by me thinking about cancer/Barrett's esophagus/Stomach cancer

His thinking is that reducing the symptoms will allow anything that's causing pain to heal and disappear into the sunset (the genuine health concern), which in turn should allow my anxiety to settle long enough for my stomach issues to go away. He said that upping the dose would reduce the symptoms and allow it to heal quicker.

I am dealing with my anxiety issues, I'm using an app called headspace, I'm trying to ignore all of the little niggly things I used to concentrate on (granted only been the past couple of days, but it's the weekend so let's hope I can keep it up and keep myself busy). I'm also waiting on CBT as mentioned earlier.

My diet over the past month has been so on and off. One minute I'm cutting down, eating healthy and trying to lose weight, which panics me when I do lose weight so I change my diet and eat greasy/fatty foods. Which I know can alone mess up and cause indigestion. I had NO warning signs of this attack though

It just feels like such an abnormal reaction to me.
    My brain can't comprehend that my WHOLE digestive system has messed up and shut down to the point that I have all of the symptoms mentioned for so long without something serious medically being wrong (which I know these thoughts can be attributed to anxiety and will automatically be made worse). That's why I'm posting on here.
    Last edited by RyanM1994; 21-06-19 at 14:54.

I'm also such a picky eater, I've tried to follow the FODMAP diet as much as possible while slowly trying things that are bad.
    I don't know if it helps or not because everything is the same, except every now and then I'll get a bit more reflux.

And I know I'm massively overweight. Last year I got up to 19 stone 10 and went down to 17 stone 6 in 3 months.
    Then decided to stop dieting for Christmas and then occasionally went back on the diet when I needed to.

Well... you know what's causing this and you know what you have to do. There really is nothing else that can be said.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Ok so everything was going well.

The burning mostly went away for a few days but tonight it's back again. The same pains as before, throat pain, burning chest/throat, back clenching feeling and lots of gas.

It's my birthday tomorrow and I just feel like rubbish now :(.

I'm also meant to be going away for the weekend on Friday and was looking forward to it but now feel like I'm back to square one.

All the thoughts of the amount of damage I'm doing inside me and thoughts of what else could be wrong.

Meh :(

Are you still taking the omeprazole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information