Thread: Possibly drank bad milk, worried about listeria

Possibly drank bad milk, worried about listeria

I drank a coffee with full fat milk (I don't usually drink this kind of milk) at a cafe and shortly after I started drinking a staff member said they had to throw milk out because it was bad. I didn't think anything of it at the time but since I've been home I've had to take a few trips to the bathroom and I'm also sweating a fair bit and don't feel great.
    I don't know if listeria is even possible in this case but I saw scary stuff in the news so..
    Also I'm just worried about this in general. I have emetophobia so I'm scared. I haven't thrown up but I'm scared I will.

Re: Possibly drank bad milk, worried about listeria

I don't think milk caries listeria. They probably just meant that it was expired, in which case there's really nothing to worry about, especially since you drank it an didn't notice it being off. With milk, I 100% go by the smell. You know instantly if milk has gone bad. Your symptoms are most likely anxiety and nothing to do with the milk. Also, coffee places have multiple milks open at once, she it may not even been the one you drank from.

I told this story somewhere else on here, but my dad told me years ago that he was traveling and on his way to his connecting flight he grabbed a chocolate milk from a vending machine. He was running for a plane so he opened it and chugged it before realizing it was completely chunky and spoiled. He's already swallowed a ton of it, and he was completely fine.

Spoilage bacteria isn't particularly dangerous. It's different from foodborne pathogens like listeria.

Also - Google is so creepy. I commented on this post and the next time I opened my phone the top article Google recommended in my Google News feed was one about the listeria cases in the UK...

Yeah, that's what's been on my mind (I'm in the UK)
    I'm feeling a bit better now. To be honest, I had other things giving me anxiety that could have been why I haven't felt great. I also didn't get much sleep and woke up early.

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitis View Post
    Yeah, that's what's been on my mind (I'm in the UK)
    I'm feeling a bit better now. To be honest, I had other things giving me anxiety that could have been why I haven't felt great. I also didn't get much sleep and woke up early.
    Yeah, as far as I know listeria is a surface thing - it's typically on stuff like pre-cut fruit and lunch meat (I think that's this outbreak). I've never heard of it in milk. (I'm not a food safety expert, but I'm a food safety worrier so I've read a lot about it!)

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    Yeah, as far as I know listeria is a surface thing - it's typically on stuff like pre-cut fruit and lunch meat (I think that's this outbreak). I've never heard of it in milk. (I'm not a food safety expert, but I'm a food safety worrier so I've read a lot about it!)
    You can get it in raw milk. However I doubt a commercial premises would be offering that without making it clear first as it comes with other risks to certain vulnerable groups.

Thread Information