Thread: Excessive yawning

Excessive yawning

I've been on citalopram for about 2 and a half months now. Firstly it made me feel sick and yawn alot but I felt like I could've dropped to the floor everytine I yawned.

In the meantime I've been diagnosed with pernicious anemia (autoimmune disease) and this yawning is still imgoing. It's driving me insane. It makes me feel so weak and like i will stop breathing.

Does anyone else have this side effect from this med or could it be because of the anemia. Obviously I'm worried as the anemia isn't being treated at the moment as they want to send me to the hospital but I'm worried my heart will stop due to lack of blood cells

Re: Excessive yawning

Quote Originally Posted by Emilychazza98 View Post
    Does anyone else have this side effect from this med or could it be because of the anaemia.
    Yawning is a relatively common SSRI side-effect which might be being exacerbated by low oxygen levels due to the anaemia. Talk to the prescribing doctor about switching to escitalopram. It is essentially the same drug, but the side-effects can vary between the two so it might solve the problem, though there are no guarantees.

I'm worried my heart will stop due to lack of blood cells
    That is extremely unlikely. Lack of red blood cells reduces the amount of oxygen available so you may lack stamina and sometimes feel faint if your very active, but the risk to your heart is minimal. Other issues will arise before the heart is affected.

Hi Emily

When are you taking the citalopram?

I have been on 10mg Cit for 5 days now and also have experienced the excessive yawning coupled with feeling very very tired can hardly do anything ss no energy. Not pleasant.

Thread Information