Thread: Worried about cat bite

Worried about cat bite

My cat affectionately nipped me this morning.

That wouldn't usually have bothered me but yesterday he killed a pigeon... we had to clean him up.

I'm trying to rationalise that it's probably going to be okay because it didn't break the skin and I immediately washed my hands. But still I'm so worried!

Re: Worried about cat bite

If it didn't break the skin then there's absolutely NO CHANCE of any harm being done.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    If it didn't break the skin then there's absolutely NO CHANCE of any harm being done.
    Righty. I only have two little red spots now where he nipped me. Can barely see them.

I wish I could stop worrying about this.

This is why humans have skin - so things like feline love-nips won't have any adverse consequences

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    This is why humans have skin - so things like feline love-nips won't have any adverse consequences
    I really appreciate you responding and trying to help me this morning. It's been a tough day of anxiety but your words have helped.

Guess I'm still feeling a bit anxious about it. Theres barely anything there now. Worried about all kinds of infections... rabies etc. You name it!

Wish I didn't have to worry like this.

Rabies isn't native to the UK.

You can take rabies off the list since birds can't get rabies!

Let’s just get this out in the open... your worried ahout rabies. It’s okay- so am I... just when I stop worrying for a month or so.. I have contact with some sort of animal again that freaks me out.

I’m not an infectious disease dr... but I can tell you- from everything I’ve heard- the UK doesn’t have rabies.... I envy you guys so much.

And second, birds don’t carry rabies- only mammals- and even then some haven’t been known to carry... I got scratched by a squirrel last week- did a ton of research and talked to the health department- they told me squirrels have never been know to carry... don’t get me wrong... I’ve still had my moments of panic... but I have to reassure myself.

Also- I’ve rescued birds before- a few months ago the bird sanctuary was helping by me with one, and they too confirmed birds don’t carry rabies.

Finally If that doesn’t help you- i believe animal has to be manifesting symptoms and rabies would have had to be able to spread to the brain/saliva- it’s a slow moving virus- so even if birds did carry rabies in a Country that was known to have it like mine... 1 day probably wouldn’t be enough for it to move...

Positive thoughts... this stupid squirrel my friends and mom decided to feed and then leave me with on the beach as they fall asleep is still haunting me... hang in there!

Thread Information