Thread: Counselling experiences

Counselling experiences

I'm thinking about finding a private counsellor. I don't think the NHS counselling would be available outside my office hours.

However, I had some counselling when I was at Uni and the counsellor said very little. She seemed more someone to talk at. I don't think we ever had a proper conversation. Therefore it didn't help much.

Is this normal or do counsellors usually engage in and encorage conversation?

Would love to hear about your experiences

Also, any tip on finding a counsellor would be great.

Thanks

Re: Counselling experiences

Finding therapists: there are many websites to check out and on them most therapists list their experience and qualifications. You should contact a few - with an idea of what it is you want to achieve from sessions - and ask questions of them.

Hi Justmoi.

I had a similar experience with a uni counsellor, many moons ago, and it definitely wasn't right for me. I think it partially depends on what sort of thing you're looking for. The "sit and stare" type tend to be from the psychodynamic/psychoanalytic school of thought, although I've had psychodynamic therapists who weren't like that. As a generalisation, they look at your early history and how it relates to current problems.

You could try looking at integrative therapy if you'd like some "general" counselling. I think integrative therapists use different theories, although I don't know much about it. Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) tends to focus more on the here and now, and in my experience tends to involve less sitting and staring.

There are are lots of other types too, but I would think about what your primary goals are and take it from there. That might help you figure out what type of therapist would suit you best and then you can narrow your search to find someone you click with.

Good luck.

P.S to find a therapist it is worth looking via the accreditation bodies, so you can ensure they are properly trained and registered. BACP, UKCP and BABCP (for CBT) are the ones I know of and should have a "find a therapist" function on their websites.

Thread Information