Thread: Jaw, Mouth, Teeth Tension

Jaw, Mouth, Teeth Tension

Hello. I am in the middle of a very stressful period due to a house move and pressure of deadlines at the end of a work contract. Last week I started feeling as though I had aches and pains in my neck and glands. When I am anxious this can manifest as health anxiety over a nodule I have on my thyroid (tested last year and came back benign). I get worried that it will grow and change diagnosis. It's difficult to know whether the neck pain is real or a phantom symptom or tension due to stress. My partner (who I was with last week but work away so on my own now) became poorly with a cold and was off work after I left so maybe this is a sign that there was something to it originally but then I have now made it into something more. For the past week I have been experiencing symptoms relating to this, I'm constantly checking my neck and glands (though I don't press as I know it can exacerbate things), and the nodule in my neck and everything just feels very 'present'. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it for 5 days. Yesterday and today I have now been experiencing a weird sensation in my jaw, mouth and under my neck. It feels tight and it's difficult to explain. When my mouth is closed in my head it feels like it would be difficult to open and I wonder if I could open it. But I can open my mouth. Like a numbness almost. I don't know. It's a constant tension in my jaw, teeth and sometimes ear pain and I'm really worried about it because I've never had this before. I had a sleep before hoping it would ease but it was still there when I woke up and seems to be getting worse. Sorry for the long post. Please if anyone has any advice. Thank you.

Re: Jaw, Mouth, Teeth Tension

This jaw, teeth tension and ear pain is something I had as a side-effect of escitalopram, and it went on for nearly 18 months. It can also occur due to stress. I was also jaw-clenching and teeth-grinding at night and cracked a tooth. I got a mouth guard from the dentist, but then changed medication and it has much improved. Are you on any ADs? For me, the more I focused on it the worse it got. It is quite cruel the way our mental preoccupations can cause real physical symptoms.

Re: Jaw, Mouth, Teeth Tension

Quote Originally Posted by Dinonat85 View Post
    Hello. I am in the middle of a very stressful period due to a house move and pressure of deadlines at the end of a work contract. Last week I started feeling as though I had aches and pains in my neck and glands. When I am anxious this can manifest as health anxiety over a nodule I have on my thyroid (tested last year and came back benign). I get worried that it will grow and change diagnosis. It's difficult to know whether the neck pain is real or a phantom symptom or tension due to stress. My partner (who I was with last week but work away so on my own now) became poorly with a cold and was off work after I left so maybe this is a sign that there was something to it originally but then I have now made it into something more. For the past week I have been experiencing symptoms relating to this, I'm constantly checking my neck and glands (though I don't press as I know it can exacerbate things), and the nodule in my neck and everything just feels very 'present'. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it for 5 days. Yesterday and today I have now been experiencing a weird sensation in my jaw, mouth and under my neck. It feels tight and it's difficult to explain. When my mouth is closed in my head it feels like it would be difficult to open and I wonder if I could open it. But I can open my mouth. Like a numbness almost. I don't know. It's a constant tension in my jaw, teeth and sometimes ear pain and I'm really worried about it because I've never had this before. I had a sleep before hoping it would ease but it was still there when I woke up and seems to be getting worse. Sorry for the long post. Please if anyone has any advice. Thank you.
    I could have written your post as my symptoms are are almost identical... I'm at a loss what to do... My Dr is not sympathetic with middle aged men whom he just thinks need to ""Pull themselves together"" My worry is that the only way I can unwind is by having a beer or two or more..
    Sorry I can't be more helpful.. but if you find a helpful suggestion I'm willing to try it as well... Bye for now

Thread Information