Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help - Huge HA and MS scare

Re: Please help - Huge HA and MS scare

Quote Originally Posted by pav1984 View Post
    Ok another angle.
    Sorry I didn’t mean to dismiss what you said about symptom patterns. You obviously know more about it than I do. Actually I was looking for more of that good ol’ reassurance that you were effectively providing. 🙂

Concerning medication, it’s because the injections for my type of arthritis are known to worsen MS symptoms. But they’re the only thing working for me so yeah, curious what my doctors would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Are you cognizant of the HA pattern you're exhibiting? Reassurance is like crack to the addict. It helps a little but you always need more. You've had several trained medical professionals as well as a MS sufferer offer their opinions and experience and you're still asking questions trying desperately to validate your fears.

What are you currently doing to treat you anxiety?

Positive thoughts
    Yeah I know, I’m sorry. For anxiety I take citalopram but I’ve been taking it for years and it does nothing. I take the occasional Ativan and the psychiatrist gave me risperidone but it has a reputation of being a poison. I’ve started seeing a therapist last week too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    For anxiety I take citalopram but I’ve been taking it for years and it does nothing. I take the occasional Ativan and the psychiatrist gave me risperidone but it has a reputation of being a poison. I’ve started seeing a therapist last week too.
    That's good You probably should speak with your doctor about the meds. Sometimes they just crap out on you. My daughter is a sufferer and had to go through several med changes when her Zoloft crapped out on her. Between the meds and therapy, she's doing well.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yeah I will try to move to Cymbalta or Zoloft but at this point it's just whatever. All I'd care for is seeing a neurologist who'd tell me there's no way I have MS or at least being symptoms-free so I can psyche myself into thinking I'm normal.

Funny thing is, I could get "normal" again and still have MS and have the symptoms come back with a vengeance in years. But seeing as I'm taking Enbrel that should assure a steady process of demyelination and getting worse. I guess I'll know in the next weeks and months if I'm FUBAR.

It’s been three weeks today suffering from these strange symptoms and I wonder if MS could present such relatively mild symptoms and never go into a full blown attack?

I mean it’s not getting better but it’s not getting worse either...

Can thinking about symptoms 24/7 contribute to having them stick around?

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    It’s been three weeks today suffering from these strange symptoms and I wonder if MS could present such relatively mild symptoms and never go into a full blown attack?

I mean it’s not getting better but it’s not getting worse either...

Can thinking about symptoms 24/7 contribute to having them stick around?
    100% yes, thinking about symptoms will make them stick around and get worse. I've only skimmed your thread, but all of the symptoms you're having can absolutely be caused by anxiety. These are all of my anxiety symptoms! I recently had a flair up of anxiety after a good while and had almost forgotten how physical it can be. I actually read somewhere years ago that there's an argument to be made for considering anxiety both a psychological and a physical ailment because there are so many physical symptoms.

There have definitely been times when I've thought perhaps I have MS because of all the symptoms I get: numbness, tingling, twitching, dizziness, muscle heaviness, cold and hot spots, the sensation of water pouring down my arm or leg, eye pain, etc... but these symptoms *always* pass when my anxiety does. And, honestly, I've never actually felt anxious about MS because, while I obviously don't want to have it, it's not a fatal disease. Life expectancy is slightly lower than the general population, but the leading causes of death for a person with MS are the same as everyone else - cancer, heart disease, etc...

Talk to your doctor about changing up your anxiety meds and getting therapy. I often will set a timeline for myself when it comes to symptoms that concern me. In your case, I think you should try to allow yourself to treat the anxiety first. If you get that under control and your symptoms persist, only then should you continue looking for other causes.

Hi Erin, thanks for replying!

Have you ever felt the sensation like someone is flicking water on your leg or arm? I get this all the time and it seems worse when air is blowing on me for some reason. I’ve read online about a woman with MS who had that...

Were your symptoms happening even when you felt calmer? Mine seem to come out of the blue with no logic.

Is dizziness even a symptom of MS in itself? I wish RLR still posted here!

Have you read THIS?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I did, it’s a great post.

I know I won’t find answers by asking more and more questions

Thanks everybody for your kindness and time.

Now I just had that tingly water sensation in my arm too, lol.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information