Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: amoxicillin scare. Tell me some good story's

Re: amoxicillin scare. Tell me some good story's

You need to take the prescribed dose or they may not work. If you need some reassurance to get you to take them then your pharmacist is easy to get hold of.

Agreeing with Terry, pharmacists are usually brilliant people who sometimes have more time to explain things than doctors.

Also, not taking antibiotics in the prescribed way is a bad idea for any number of reasons that I won't detail here.

Well I'm worried about the side affects of them. Like so so scared

That doesn't mean that your fears are rational.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1987 View Post
    It's 500mg 3 times a day. I was think just take 2 aday.
    If you want to get better take them as prescribed, side effects aren’t necessarily linked to dose... often it’s either you have a reaction or you don’t. Honestly most people are absolutely fine with amoxicillin, at worse maybe a bottom end tummy upset that can be helped by taking a good probiotic alongside as this is the case for taking any antibiotics really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by josh1987 View Post
    It's 500mg 3 times a day. I was think just take 2 aday.
    NO! Please don't do this. Amoxicillin has a short half-life, just a bit over an hour, so you need to take it exactly as prescribed to ensure enough of the med is in your system at all times. You don't want to give the bacteria any respite as that increases the chances of it developing resistance. Antibiotic resistance has become a real problem that could see the resurgence of terrible diseases that regularly devastated humanity until antibiotics became readily available in the 1950s.

Have you weighed the tiny side-effects risk against the potential far greater risk to your health from the infection the med has been prescribed for? You could be avoiding a minor issue only to be hit by something far more serious.

Would it be easier to take the drug if you were in a safe place such as your doctor's waiting room, or that of the nearest hospital ER? If anything seriously untoward is going to happen it most likely will within the first hour. Half the drug will have dropped out of your system by then.

O so it has a very short half life? So by right any side affects from them would be for ing a short time? People say you may get a upset guts and the runs. As in where you can't keep going on with you day?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    NO! Please don't do this. Amoxicillin has a short half-life, just a bit over an hour, so you need to take it exactly as prescribed to ensure enough of the med is in your system at all times. You don't want to give the bacteria any respite as that increases the chances of it developing resistance. Antibiotic resistance has become a real problem that could see the resurgence of terrible diseases that regularly devastated humanity until antibiotics became readily available in the 1950s.

Have you weighed the tiny side-effects risk against the potential far greater risk to your health from the infection the med has been prescribed for? You could be avoiding a minor issue only to be hit by something far more serious.

Would it be easier to take the drug if you were in a safe place such as your doctor's waiting room, or that of the nearest hospital ER? If anything seriously untoward is going to happen it most likely will within the first hour. Half the drug will have dropped out of your system by then.
    so it has a very short half life? So by right any side affects from them would be for ing a short time? People say you may get a upset guts and the runs. As in where you can't keep going on with you day?
    Multi-Quote This Message

Half life just means the point at which a substance starts to be eliminated. However there are different types of half life (e.g. distribution, elimination, etc) but it's the elimination one we tend to think of more. In the case of side effects both are relevant here but with such a short life drug both with be very fast in reaching their peaks (which will be earlier than the half life). Without checking the timings, I couldn't say but I'm sure Ian will know.

However when it comes to allergic reactions they come on much quicker than normal side effects. But not all allergic reactions are equal. For instance, my mum was found to be allergic to a form of antibiotic she hadn't taken before (not yours) and the reaction was the runs and being sick but nothing as bad as a stomach bug. Removal of the drug immediately stopped it.

I agree with Ian on this, take your earlier doses with a friend to give you reassurance. It's anticipatory anxiety and that fades the more you do things.

So even if you are sick of them it's not as bad as a tummy bug? God a hate anxiety

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information