Thread: Mammogram Worry

Mammogram Worry

Well I had the 'invitation' a couple of weeks ago to go for a routine mammogram this morning. I've been worried ever since I got the letter. I know I could have just ignored it, but I also knew that if I did I would worry about not going.

I can't even begin to describe how anxious and panicky I have been all night. None of this was helped by hearing someone climb over my back garden fence at 5am only to find my garden full of police and sniffer dogs, but that's another story.

Anyway I got through the mammograme okay, although it's left me feeling totally exhaused and feeling like I just want to go back to bed.

My worry now is the the radiographer said to me 'don't worry if you get a letter asking you to have another mammogram taken, sometimes we have to do that'. When I asked her where I would have to go if that was the case she told me it's the hospital in Edgware which is miles and miles away from where I live.

So already I am worrying myself sick that I will get a recall letter and I just know that even getting down the road to the mobile unit was terrifying and there is absolutely no way in a million years that I can get to Edgware.

Now I am wishing I hadn't gone because at least then I was blissfully ignorant

Re: Mammogram Worry

Oh Lyn hun you star you [i had to go for one of those too and went to the pub first..oops ]i was not re called so i would not fret about it hun..we all tend to be gallopping over bridges we have yet to reach dont we guys Crumbs that must have been scarey to find the old bill in your garden what on earth had gone one hun?????Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Paddie, means a lot to me

I wish I could have gone to the pub beforehand but I can't drink with my meds. We do tend to gallop ahead of ourselves I know

The incident with the police was really odd. I think I was already awake worrying about today when I was aware of some voices outside. Next thing I heard something climb over the fence underneath the bedroom window. We are used to foxes coming over there, but I could tell by the sound that if this was a fox it was some huge fox

I jumped out of bed by which time the security light in the garden had come on, flung open the bedroom window and saw a man tumble over the fence. I shouted out 'get out of my garden' and this voice shouted back 'it's okay ma'am were the police!'.

We immediately went downstairs and looked out the front and saw a few police cars out in the road and there were then about 6 policemen in the front, side and back of our house. We had to let some of them through the house as we have very high locked gates both sides of the house and they couldn't get through. However we then had to open them so they could bring their sniffer dog through. The dog was in fact very pretty

For the next ten mintues they just kept shouting 'we know you're hiding in this garden, come out now or we will set the dog on you'. Unfortunately whoever they were looking for must have got out another way as they didn't find him.

So was not the best start to my day. I have to say it's spooked me a bit. I went out first thing and checked the garden and even looked inside the wheelie bin in case the guy was still hiding

It is awful how someone elses problem makes us smile Alabasterlyn, Have you read your letter (above) it is quite comical (as it did not happen in my garden.) But there was a police raid next door a few years ago when they knocked the door off its hinges yelling all the eay up the stairs. What a wake up call (ha ha)
    I was called back after a routine mamogram and all they did was a scan I had not kept still enough for the mamogram to come out clear.
    I do think that once the radiographer says "you might be called back" is the start of weeks of worry.
    do phone the hospital and tell them of your fear of travel. it is always better that they are aware of your anxiety.
    Best wishes june

the things us women have to go through.. smear tests.. mammograms... childbirth... . havn't had to have a mammogram yet - but will dread the day that gets added to the "to do" list! the worry for results is awful - but for the VAST majority of people its ok. i had to have surgery recently after having some abnormal smears - they're bad, but they save lives (at least e don't have to have our prostates checked !)

xxx

AFter my mammogram, they wanted to take one more xray... I could tell something was "wrong."

Then I hear they wanted me to go for an ultrasound. You can imagine my worry!!! In fact, during the ultrasound, they were looking at it and feeling my breast as if something was indeed odd.

Turned out, though, that I just have some really, really dense (but normal) tissue in teh left side. Whew!! Gonna go for another mammo this Saturday (2 years later) and hoping all will still be well!

Well done for going today and goodness what an eventful night - I'dve been out offering refreshments and giving the police a glimpse of my negligee (I wanted to say cops or fuzz then but I thought that might be a bit too sweenyish even for me)!!

Well done love.

Piglet

Getting a recall after a mammogram is no big deal. They have to check out every little thing they spot and the vast majority of them turn out to be nothing. I'm a radiographer and I've been through the recall,ultrasound, biopsy bit too, so I know what it's like. I was having a good spell at the time, so didn't get into too much of state about it. Also remember, that if it does turn out to be something nasty, it is entirely treatable at that stage, that's why we go for mammograms, so PLEASE don't think you are better off not knowing. I know how horrible it is to be so scared...been there, done that, but it's much better that these things are found before they get any nastier.
    I will now repeat what I said at the start, as it's the most important bit.........they have to check out every little thing they find, and the vast majority ( about 90% ) turn out to be nothing, so get yourself down to that hospital!!

Thread Information