Thread: Physical anxiety

Physical anxiety

Does anyone suffer from physical anxiety?
    I’ve become increasingly aware of my swallowing, constant swallowing for about 3 months, which I think is due to anxiety.
    Anyone else?
    Any advice would be appreciated

Re: Physical anxiety

Yes, I have experienced it with breathing. There are many threads on here about what is termed "manual breathing" but you will also find threads about swallowing and blinking as well.

In OCD this is a known theme, termed Sensorimotor OCD by OCD sufferers. This more where it controls you to that point of OCD though as opposed to what many may experience as something like manual breathing.

We end up trying to take over an autonomic process the body does better on it's own. We tend to do it wrong/pronouced and end up with aches/soreness from it too.

It's a control issue.

Thank you for the reply,
    It’s been going on sometime now and driving mad, I keep thinking I’m never going to stop swallowing constantly and I’m always going to be aware,
    How did you overcome it?
    And is it treatable?
    Thanks

I can imagine. I remember how the breathing issue seemed pretty relentless.

Part of this is about learning to trust you body/subconscious to do what it has been doing since birth. Another part if learning to be more relaxed in general. Another part is learning not to interact so much with your thoughts. But a more immediate approach is trying to reduce the compulsion.

I would look towards ERP as something to try to reduce the compulsions but the more you reduce the overall underlying anxiety levels the less you will feel the intensity of obsessive-compulsive cycles. It may seem a bit pointless at first but it takes time to get the body/mind to listen to relaxation work.

Mindfulness is excellent for learning to change how to interact with thoughts. I have seen some articles recommended it's use as an alternative in treating compulsive acts like this form because they actually try to change your thoughts within the exercise whilst you do the compulsion.

It's definitely treatable. For me, it was a holistic approach mostly of the above.

Thread Information