Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perimenopause, periods and flying.

Perimenopause, periods and flying.

Can anyone help me to calm down over this one ?

I am later in peri, my periods are erratic, sometimes really heavy and sometimes a bit better. I never know which month will be a bit better than others. I am due to fly on holiday fairly soon, aside from being terrified of flying thats not really my primary fear right now. My period should have happened over a week ago, and it hasn't and now if it does happen it will be over the flight, or start during the flight.

Someone (in person) told me that it is common for some people to have some 'period like' bleeding on a flight, people who aren't even due or on their period, something to do with pressure changes. If I was in 'normal period' territory that would scare me enough, but I've also heard that the pressure changes can make bleeding very heavy, mine is also flooding now and again which scares me stupid. What if its even worse than it already is, that will be ridiculous blood loss ? This is honestly really terrifying me, imagining that I could bleed to death on the flight. Am I just reading too much here into a few anecdotal stories, is this really an issue or not?

TIA

Re: Perimenopause, periods and flying.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard this one before?

No, I hadn't either......and I wish I hadn't now lol Something to do with blood vessels dilating whilst flying blah blah. Have you flown Blue ?

I have, yes, and I've never had any unusual bleeding; honestly it sounds like an old wives' tale to me.

For what it’s worth I’ve flown more than once while bleeding and not and not had anything but normal bleeding/nothings
    My natural periods are enough to land me in the hospital with anemia, even on birth control things can be a little on the heavy side. I definitely wouldn’t consider it to be a problem to fly even with my natural.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Its worth a lot guys! Thanks so much, truly appreciated. Midnight mouse, have you heard of people having bleeding randomly , even if they aren't on their period. This person who told me about the changes in period bleeding said she wasn't even on her period and yet during the flight had bleeding ?! OH I've just realised you already answered this with the 'nothings' LOL OK, one more question - with your anaemia (and I'm perpetually anaemic) were you ok also, no feeling breathless etc? This is an interesting twist in my fear of flying state - never ever have I been worried about anything than the plane plummeting from the sky LOL !!!
    Last edited by Carys; 26-06-19 at 20:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Its worth a lot guys! Thanks so much, truly appreciated. Midnight mouse, have you heard of people having bleeding randomly , even if they aren't on their period. This person who told me about the changes in period bleeding said she wasn't even on her period and yet during the flight had bleeding ?! OH I've just realised you already answered this with the 'nothings' LOL OK, one more question - with your anaemia (and I'm perpetually anaemic) were you ok also, no feeling breathless etc? This is an interesting twist in my fear of flying state - never ever have I been worried about anything than the plane plummeting from the sky LOL !!!
    I haven’t heard of it! If they bleed I would imagine it’s more to do with the stress of travelling or just mother nature’s twisted sense of humour.

I honestly think that if pregnant women are fine to fly under normal circumstances as long as they aren’t about to pop (no one wants to deliver that baby mid air... can you think of all that paperwork!) then I can’t see a reason that it would ever be a problem for anyone really.

I remember feeling quite tired/fatigued but not a lot else, just the heavy bleeding and pain associated with that, but I don’t recall being breathless at all. This was 10 years ago now before I started using birth control, it wasn’t fun by any stretch though!

Thanks MM of course, the pregnant woman issue is very relevant.....I'd not even thought of that

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Thanks MM of course, the pregnant woman issue is very relevant.....I'd not even thought of that
    Not to worry Carys we all get caught in a loop sometimes, I often have to have my husband do a logic test for me and help me work through things.

Happens to all of us. Happens to me every month

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information