Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perimenopause, periods and flying.

Re: Perimenopause, periods and flying.

Well yeah Blue, you know how it is.....you have the same erratic period triggers. The thought of being on the plane and worse is throwing me so badly.

For anyone who comes to this thread in the future, a quick update. Flew there, flew back and despite it being the hell I usually feel on flights from anxiety (not uncommon I know this fear of flying thing) I did it and there was no period bleeding or any of the problems I feared. Infact my period came at 43 days (back into that long cycle thing), 3 days after arriving at the destination and finished before I flew back.

So, the 2 1/2 hour flight is done, there and back, and I feel pride as it was tough to keep myself together - but I can't rest on this now. I need to get more used to flying again and not leave it so many years,I don't want my life to contain fear of going to the amazing places around the world. It is the gap I've had of many years which built this into a massive fear and I will make sure that I fly again within 12 months!

Tips for anyone with a fear of flying -

1. With your phone on flight mode, use google maps and GPS and track your route whilst in the air. (you need to probably be near the window for this as I lost signal even in the middle seat) You can watch your progress over the land below, it provides distraction and shows that you are moving forward and all the time getting to your destination.

2. If possible use a much smaller UK airport to leave from, it is less stressful, feels more 'personal' and takes much less time, thus reducing the time you are sweating and panicking.

3. When you are scared of 'that noise', or the turbulence or any other strange sensation - watch the flight attendants. This worked really well for me, seeing that they were just carrying on with the roles, with no fear or concern on their faces provided the reassurance to me that there was actually NOTHING wrong at all.

Well done Carys x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information