Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Ever increasing venlafaxine, plus mirtazapine

Re: Ever increasing venlafaxine, plus mirtazapine

It's true, though I hope your assessment is more "successful" than mine. I've been trying to be more active which probably didn't help my cause. The nurse phoned me earlier and said their psychiatrist has been through my records and has decided all my problems are due to my childhood and that I need cognitive analytic therapy, but obviously they don't provide that. Seems that because I've got a degree, that means I "live well" so don't need their support. On the other hand, apparently I gave her no eye contact which means I'm too ill to go to work. Happily, they don't think my problems are bad enough to be a "disorder", but that doesn't include anxiety or depression. What they are happy to do is farm me out to various charities who don't get back to me. Fascinating how this psychiatrist who's never met me has made all these assertions, but there we are. I'll try to remove my tongue from my cheek over the next few days. Good luck Jo!

That is shocking...especially them saying you’re ok because you’ve got a degree. I can’t really see how that’s relevant. I would actually be tempted to complain if I thought it would get anywhere

I know. Those weren't her exact words but it's basically what she was saying. It's absurd and has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I'm going to talk to my psych about it next week. Really hope you get on better x

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    Seems that because I've got a degree, that means I "live well" so don't need their support.
    When I wanted to get admitted a few years back I begged the psych. His words were "It's not a place for somebody with a degree and family". I asked "What is that meant to mean?" and the question was avoided by him. They think because we've been through University it must mean we've dealt with more pressures in life than most and we did so successfully. I'm sure that's how they see it.

This thread is relevant though. I need to go up on ven. They don't seem to be doing what they used too anymore.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

That's exactly it, Wired, and exactly what they're getting at. To my mind, that just stigmatises mental illness even more and totally ignores the fact that anyone can be affected. A relative of mine was an FE teacher and told me that rates of eg eating disorders are disproportionately high amongst Oxbridge students. I'm not sure if that's just anecdotal, and I don't have an eating disorder nor did I go to Oxbridge, but just as an example. Everyone has stressors and risk factors. It infuriates me and I'm really sorry you were treated like that.

What dose of venlafaxine are you on now? Is there a plan for you to increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    What dose of venlafaxine are you on now? Is there a plan for you to increase?
    x75mg twice a day. I missed the evening dose Saturday, and the morning dose Sunday. I took a dose Sunday evening when I was home and one this morning but today I've got what feels like a nasty hangover and increased anxiety. The delayed reaction to missing a dose is horrid. Does the side effect of missing a dose get worse when the dose increases? I try not to miss a dose but this weekend was unavoidable. I stayed over with my brother and packed my diazepam and an empty box of ven.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Utterly shocking, the state of mental health care in this country. I am sorry for what people here have had to go through. Actually bit sad for myself too, because of the lack of knowledge NHS GPs seem to have about antidepressants and tapering etc.

Sorry for delay in replying. It's been a tough week one way or another, and everything hit the fan. The upside, if it is one, is that the NHS had second thoughts and have opened my case to the CMHT, so according to the letter I got, I've now got an NHS psychiatrist and a CPN. It seems some discussion took place with my private psychiatrist, so I'm not sure what's happening there. He told me to email him after I've seen them. I understand his point that it might not be helpful to have two different doctors advising on meds, but I find it quite difficult to think of changing psychiatrists and therapists all at once. I'm relieved in some ways but feel wary of being too hopeful that the CMHT will do anything.

As for meds, I'm now on 400mg quetiapine and down to 75mg venlafaxine (37.5 twice a day). Having a bit of withdrawal from ven and my mood has plummeted. I was doing pretty well a couple of weeks ago, and just don't understand it. I'm only 2 days into this regime though.

Wired, I'm not too sure about missing doses when you're at a higher dose. I used to skip a dose quite often on 75 but don't think I missed any on 150 or 225. It's bloody horrible though. I totally empathise.

I read that Ven is a tough one to reduce so hope it settles for you.

Not sure where to put this but don't want to start a new thread. Luckily ven withdrawal didn't last long and I'm down to 75mg, with 400mg quetiapine. I swapped back to mirtazapine from trazodone. I've had my first appointment with the CMHT and it seems like I have to meet with the CPN a number of times for her to make her assessment, and then there is a meeting to decide what to do with me. I decided to make another appointment with the private psych, but apparently I'll also see the NHS one, so I hope they agree with each other's decisions. I also decided to quit my CBT but I should be starting some other therapy soon.

I hope everyone is doing ok, and I hope it's alright to use this thread as a kind of journal.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread Information