Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever increasing venlafaxine, plus mirtazapine

Re: Ever increasing venlafaxine, plus mirtazapine

Bl**dy hell. 15mg mirtazapine certainly makes you sleep I feel completely exhausted. 3 nights of it now. I know this should probably be in the mirt section but I don't want to start a new thread. I've also noticed a weird feeling when the mirt kicks in, like I'm falling. It is as I fall asleep, and last night was combined with anxiety but I couldn't keep my eyes open. I'm not worried about it, it just feels different. On the plus side my appetite has decreased and my weight is back to where it was pre-mirtazapine. I've started calorie counting again because I really don't need to be gaining weight. Exercise feels like a mountain to climb right now. CBT therapist wants me to join clubs and book holidays, but I'm just not in that place. Having a shower feels like hard work. I really hope this passes soon.
    Also, night sweats. Sorry if TMI. Again I'm not exactly worried about it but it's a bit of a pain. I have a feeling that's the Ven. I remember sweating a lot when I tried to increase it in 2016.
    It is helpful to have somewhere to write all this.

I know what you mean about the sweating, definitely the Venlafaxine. I have to bring a towel with me wherever I go at the moment! It’s been a nightmare the last couple of days as it’s been so humid where I am in Hampshire!

Thanks Jo. It's a nuisance isn't it? I'm glad you also think it's the venlafaxine, was starting to wonder if it was my hormones but they shouldn't be doing things like that just yet! Yes it's pretty warm. Great for drying all the washing I'm creating Hope you are feeling ok today

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    I'm glad you also think it's the venlafaxine, was starting to wonder if it was my hormones but they shouldn't be doing things like that just yet!
    It is almost certainly the venlafaxine. Serotonin isn't just a brain neurotransmitter. It has many functions in the body, including being a signal protein involved in blood vessel tone - constriction and dilation. The skin and its small blood vessels use about as much serotonin as the brain. Serotonergic antidepressants can affect this function initially producing skin related side-effects such as heat rashes and sweating (hyperhidrosis). They usually diminish after a week or two, but can return for a while after dose increases. BTW-serotonergic antidepressants may increase photosensitivity so use a good sun block if going outdoors for any length of time.

Small 1mg doses of the blood pressure medication terazosin (Hytrin) have been shown to significantly reduce SSRI/SNRI induced sweating, as has oxybutynin (Ditropan) which is prescribed for overactive bladders, but I suspect doctors would be reluctant to prescribe them for sweating, however, it won't hurt to ask. It might be worth discussing this with your pharmacist as there are effective topical preparations that reduce sweating.

I felt drunk on 15mg of Mirt when I started but it goes, I now wish it had the same effect 😀.

+ 1 on being sweaty, been sweating loads when out doing light work in the garden just gotta keep hydrated.

Thank you PDU and Maca. Very interesting about the effects of Ven on skin. I had heard about the sun sensitivity but wasn't sure if it was a myth. That'll explain the number of times I've managed to get burnt this year then! I'm hoping the sweating will ease off. It only seems to be at night for me, but then I'm so comatose from the mirtazapine it probably doesn't help. I do remember it being an issue in the day time last time I increased though. Sorry Jo and Maca that you're also getting the sweats.
    I still slept heavily last night but haven't been quite so sluggish today. Hoping it continues to improve.

Yes the sluggish feeling will go.

Thank you for reassuring me. It seems to be easing up a bit. Hope you're doing ok today

First dose of 150mg yesterday and sleep weird again, asleep at 8.30pm awake at 12.30am and awake till 4 30am then a couple of hours sleep. Must be the Ven as Mirt still at 15mg. No biggy it doesn't bother me.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information