Thread: Really struggling

Really struggling

If you’ve been following my recent threads, you’ll know that these past months I’ve been stuck in a bad phase of health anxiety.

Started off with stomach issues which have almost settled. I had a blood test which showed raised liver enzymes but they are now coming back into range. You can imagine though, that sent my anxiety into overdrive. I also had a prolonged flu last month. Been sleeping crap too for the most part.

My current worries though are that, I’ve still got an irritating cough a month on from the flu, and although my appetite is pretty much back to normal, I’m not gaining weight and that is really worrying me. I’m trying to eat more but I still look and feel skinny and don’t dare go on the scales. Last time I checked I had lost around ~2kg.

If it was something sinister, surely the blood test results would have indicated? I mean, I don’t feel tired or exhausted or anything. Also, can anxiety cause weight loss? And what about the cough, can they last longer than 3 weeks after a flu etc?

Re: Really struggling

Quote Originally Posted by shotta287 View Post
    If you’ve been following my recent threads, you’ll know that these past months I’ve been stuck in a bad phase of health anxiety.

Started off with stomach issues which have almost settled. I had a blood test which showed raised liver enzymes but they are now coming back into range. You can imagine though, that sent my anxiety into overdrive. I also had a prolonged flu last month. Been sleeping crap too for the most part.

My current worries though are that, I’ve still got an irritating cough a month on from the flu, and although my appetite is pretty much back to normal, I’m not gaining weight and that is really worrying me. I’m trying to eat more but I still look and feel skinny and don’t dare go on the scales. Last time I checked I had lost around ~2kg.

If it was something sinister, surely the blood test results would have indicated? I mean, I don’t feel tired or exhausted or anything. Also, can anxiety cause weight loss? And what about the cough, can they last longer than 3 weeks after a flu etc?
    Coughs can definitely last longer than 3 weeks when ever I get a cold or the flu my cough is the last thing to go and lasts ages I think it’s because there is still some post nasal drip going on so you need to cough to get rid of it.

Anxiety makes me put weight on so it can different mess with your metabolism. I had a girl in my college class who was stressed about all the work and was losing weight despite eating the same. Just give it time, your body is probably using all the resources to build back up after being ill. Maybe try eating a bit more than you normally would and check again in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by shotta287 View Post

This happens to me a lot. The losing weight. I lose large amounts of weight when I’m obsessively worrying. Honestly it stresses me out too. You’re okay. Just give it time. Also I had a cough once that lasted like 4 months which terrorized me. The more I focused on it the worse it got. Try to and I know it’s hard to calm yourself and I bet things improve

I’m rarely sick with colds and flu etc but if I do get a cold my cough is by far the worse bit and has been known to last nearly a month - it’s a nightmare because of sleeping and you get an achey tummy from all the coughing - they just linger in some ppl for some reason I think, my son is the same !

Thanks for the reassurance guys and girls. I’ve had periods of HA in the past but weight loss has never really affected me in this way before. Trying to eat more but I just feel skinnier and skinnier.

I was doing so well too back in March everything was great I was even at the gym. Amazing how things can change so quick.

So this past week or so I’ve been purposely trying to eat more junk. On average I think I’ve been getting in around 2000 calories per day. I’m 5 ft 9/10 and I haven’t weighed myself for a while but I think I’m around 65kg.

I still feel so skinny my trousers still feel loose although some days they feel less loose so I wonder if it’s just all in my head. My ribs seem to be showing more and I feel as if I’ve lost mass around my waist.

I’m so tempted to check my weight but I know the reading won’t be good so that will just make me worry even more. I just can’t understand why my weight isn’t increasing. Surely if it was something serious I would have more symptoms?

On the plus side my stomach is a lot more settled and my cough slowly is improving.

Don't eat junk, that's not going to help you recover. Eat more healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil, butter etc).

Yes, anxiety can easily make you lose weight.

The last time I had a bad chest infection two years ago, the cough lasted nearly 6 months, it can happen sometimes.

i agree - don't just eat junk food to put weight on - a healthy balanced diet or you will be setting yourself up for more issues later on.

Coughs can go on months and months with no reason.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Here is another update for those interested.

My cough comes and goes. But definitely seems to be slowly easing off.

I weighed myself yesterday and it was higher to my pleasant surprise. Could just be fluctuation but I’ll take that and weigh myself again in a week or two.

However, I went for a massage today and the lady said I looked as if I had lost weight since I last saw her which was a few weeks ago. Cue the panic and anxiety all over. Suddenly I feel thin again.

I stated in my first post that my stomach issues were settling. Today though, I’ve been bloated and passing wind like mad! Stool was also on the soft side. The strange thing is though I consistently empty my bowels once a day at around the same time and that hasn’t changed. But I can’t shake the thought that food isn’t being absorbed properly in my digestive system.

I really don’t want to go back to my doctor but I think I’ll have to. I wonder if I warrant a colonoscopy? I’ve yet to see blood in my stools..

Thread Information