Thread: Please Help Air Hunger

Please Help Air Hunger

Debating for long enough to ask online or not as answers people give may make me worse but I seem to be getting nowhere..

I have had what I can only describe as a feeling as if I'm not getting enough oxygen..

This has been from January and its now July it has been constant. I have been to my gp about it who keeps telling me it is anxiety..

I do have health anxiety and had it for about 10 years now I'm only 26. I also was told for years I had svt. But they have now changed it to say I was mis diagnosed and am just unfit.. I am 6ft tall and weigh 13 stone I have put on weight around my gut but nowhere else so I'm not the slimmest but not too fat.

Anyway the feeling of not enough oxygen is constant 24/7 since January I have had no major life events my grandad past away with heart troubles but that's it.. I have had a lung function test which was fine a treadmill test which was fine on heart, exercising does not make it worse lying down does not make it worse no other symptoms. My oxygen level is always at 99 blood pressure fine blood tests always fine apart from slightly inflamed liver due to fatty liver < this happened for no reason at all but its been slightly inflamed for about 6 years not in any danger range... I was on sertraline for anxiety but I have been changed due to breathing trouble I went to venlaflaxin which was horrible muscle twitches constantly so they moved me to mirtazipine which I am fine with and re-introduced sertraline with it... It may also bee good to note I was put on propranolol (heart meds but used for anxiety) in November last year.. Although I use them mainly to keep heart rate down. I do have athsma but didn't seem to affect my athsma as I'm not gasping for breath athsma wise... but I'm getting no relief from breathing as I still feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen....

The question.. Could my breathing be due to anxiety since I have it 24/7 with no real panic attack etc.. Maby this is why heart is racing like they say but I feel anxiety is unlikely as it lasts 24/7... Which then bring on anxiety thinking of rediculous things from googling like heart failure etc.. Just want this to pass.. Any suggestions or answers are welcome and should I ask for a second opinion. I have been referred to phycology which has a waiting list of 9 months.. I can barley live day to day I'm sleeping for relief

Re: Please Help Air Hunger

Quote Originally Posted by Yermawsaride View Post
    Debating for long enough to ask online or not as answers people give may make me worse but I seem to be getting nowhere..

I have had what I can only describe as a feeling as if I'm not getting enough oxygen..

This has been from January and its now July it has been constant. I have been to my gp about it who keeps telling me it is anxiety..

I do have health anxiety and had it for about 10 years now I'm only 26. I also was told for years I had svt. But they have now changed it to say I was mis diagnosed and am just unfit.. I am 6ft tall and weigh 13 stone I have put on weight around my gut but nowhere else so I'm not the slimmest but not too fat.

Anyway the feeling of not enough oxygen is constant 24/7 since January I have had no major life events my grandad past away with heart troubles but that's it.. I have had a lung function test which was fine a treadmill test which was fine on heart, exercising does not make it worse lying down does not make it worse no other symptoms. My oxygen level is always at 99 blood pressure fine blood tests always fine apart from slightly inflamed liver due to fatty liver < this happened for no reason at all but its been slightly inflamed for about 6 years not in any danger range... I was on sertraline for anxiety but I have been changed due to breathing trouble I went to venlaflaxin which was horrible muscle twitches constantly so they moved me to mirtazipine which I am fine with and re-introduced sertraline with it... It may also bee good to note I was put on propranolol (heart meds but used for anxiety) in November last year.. Although I use them mainly to keep heart rate down. I do have athsma but didn't seem to affect my athsma as I'm not gasping for breath athsma wise... but I'm getting no relief from breathing as I still feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen....

The question.. Could my breathing be due to anxiety since I have it 24/7 with no real panic attack etc.. Maby this is why heart is racing like they say but I feel anxiety is unlikely as it lasts 24/7... Which then bring on anxiety thinking of rediculous things from googling like heart failure etc.. Just want this to pass.. Any suggestions or answers are welcome and should I ask for a second opinion. I have been referred to phycology which has a waiting list of 9 months.. I can barley live day to day I'm sleeping for relief

Yup, absolutely.

Air hunger is my least favourite symptom of stress and/or anxiety.

The key, is to simply stop focusing on it. You've most likely (and this is common) learned to breath in an odd way due to anxiety. The best practice to start with is to breath only through your nose, even if it feels like you need to gulp in air. The paradox is the more you try and take a deep breath, the more you hyperventilate, and the worse your O2/CO2 balance becomes, the more short of breath you feel.

Watch some videos on Youtube about Buteko breathing techniques. It can be beaten.

Thread Information