Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did my mum just have a seizure?

Did my mum just have a seizure?

I’m typing this on my phone so I’m a sorry for any typos etc

My mum just got up, went outside for a cigarette, sat down, smoked it and I saw through the french doors as she was getting up she was shaking as if she was having a seizure and like jerking around and tremoring slightly

Of course I was freaking out and screaming that we need to call an ambulance, then she went over to the table and picked up her cup and I don’t know if it was just me overthinking it but I could’ve sworn her hand shook a bit

She said she seemed like that because she was looking up at birds that were fighting directly above as she was getting up (there were birds) I’m just terrified she has a brain tumour or something causing tremors and seizures

I could be overreacting but it just seemed ikea her body was involuntarily moving as she stood up

I asked her to show me her hands to see if they were shaking and they werent and everything was normal after those 30 seconds but I’m so terrified

Im also angry at her because she’s denying that anything ever happened and also it’s selfish but this is just another damn thing for me me to worry about

She is 51
    Last edited by Toby2000; 05-07-19 at 06:34.

Re: Did my mum just have a seizure?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post

I could be overreacting
    Im also angry at her because she’s denying that anything ever happened and also it’s selfish but this is just another damn thing for me me to worry about

She is 51
    Toby you are totally overthinking it and please do not come back at me with a BUT.

She is not being selfish, she is a grown woman who realises that you totally over react to things.

This is your HA kicking off in yet another direction.

Did you speak to your doctor about how badly your mental health is impacting on your every day life and your family's life.

It would be great if she could find you some appropriate treatment, sooner rather than having to go through the process of queuing.

Please try very hard not to allow this thread to turn in a re-assurance seeking post.

I am not trying to be harsh here as I have every sympathy with you but us feeding your fears is not helpful.

Agreeing with Elen here; I think your hypervigilance is an issue right now, and I think you need to realise you can't trust your instincts for the moment.

Why not start on the HA workbooks on here and do some self-help?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    But what actually happened? Someone older got up and had some shaking muscles for a very brief amount of time? Don't you think if she had a seizure she would be distressed by it? So perhaps she just had some muscle weakness?

You aren't objective about such things. She is. What would rushing for an ambulance achieve in such a situation other than an expensive drain on a much needed resource?

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post
    Toby you are totally overthinking it and please do not come back at me with a BUT.

She is not being selfish, she is a grown woman who realises that you totally over react to things.

This is your HA kicking off in yet another direction.

Did you speak to your doctor about how badly your mental health is impacting on your every day life and your family's life.

It would be great if she could find you some appropriate treatment, sooner rather than having to go through the process of queuing.

Please try very hard not to allow this thread to turn in a re-assurance seeking post.

I am not trying to be harsh here as I have every sympathy with you but us feeding your fears is not helpful.
    I know I probably am, and here's the but (I'm sorry), it really looked like she had a short seizure

I know it's HA, I've been worrying about my bowels, shoulder sensations, spots on my neck, spots on my chest, my mum's bowels and now this

But it just looked so real? She explained that she was looking at magpies directly above and reenacted what happened while she was standing up to reassure me and it did a little but it looked REALLY scary.

It was like she was doing some sort of subtle robot dance while standing up

There's nothing more I can do for myself other than come on here and beg for advice because I'm so set on thinking she had a seizure. Therapy is still pending. Besides helping my anxiety won't change what happened which is the problem and as always I'm the only one concerned :(

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Agreeing with Elen here; I think your hypervigilance is an issue right now, and I think you need to realise you can't trust your instincts for the moment.
    Maybe, I wasn't even worried when it happened though it just looked REALLY odd

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Why not start on the HA workbooks on here and do some self-help?
    I don't know is it worth it? My mum potentially had a seizure it feels a bit far past irrational worries :(

Advice has been given, Toby. You must try not to beg for unnecessary reassurance.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    But what actually happened? Someone older got up and had some shaking muscles for a very brief amount of time? Don't you think if she had a seizure she would be distressed by it? So perhaps she just had some muscle weakness?

You aren't objective about such things. She is. What would rushing for an ambulance achieve in such a situation other than an expensive drain on a much needed resource?
    It was more like she was doing some sort of, as I said above, subtle robot dance while she was getting up

If she was looking up above the umbrella to see the magpies directly above which is close to the doorstep she was perched on and was maneuvering or whatever to track their movements that would explain it but it looked so strange and concerning to me, she was moving in random directions and it looked like her body was twitching slightly when she came in- I may be overthinking the last bit but it looked very strange

You're right about her not being concerned, she wasn't at all concerned but what if she was just hiding it so I didn't worry? I do think my mum is so dumb when it comes to her health, she doesn't like wasting doctor's time but she had a daughter who had stage 4 cancer, I would think she'd find these things more concerning but she really isn't phased by it. If you have a seizure then you'd be distressed by it as you say but what if she just brushed it off as "one of those things"

That isn't normal and it's reasonable to worry about even when you have HA

I just feel so doomed. If it's not me having bowel cancer then she could have bowel cancer (diarrhea) or a brain tumor (a potential seizure) or bowel cancer metastasized to her brain? My worry complex feels very multi-layered and inescapable right now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information