Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did my mum just have a seizure?

Re: Did my mum just have a seizure?

I hope if it has to be anything serious it's something like multiple sclerosis rather than a brain tumor, the former of which isn't fun but is obviously preferable over a brain tumor which is the worst case scenario :(

Your mother is a grown woman and knows how to take care of herself. Have a little faith in her to know what's happening with her own body.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Your mother is a grown woman and knows how to take care of herself. Have a little faith in her to know what's happening with her own body.
    I would like to think she does but I'm doubting it

Okay, next question: why do you (with a track record of catastrophising) know better than your mother does? What makes you the expert?

Toby you are doing it again and catastrophizing

You never answered my comment about starting the HA workbooks

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    I don't know is it worth it? My mum potentially had a seizure it feels a bit far past irrational worries :(

Toby you are doing it again and catastrophizing

You are being silly now to be honest and it needs to stop.

Sort yourself out for goodness sake and do the workbooks then you wouldn't be like this.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I don't know is it worth it? My mum potentially had a seizure it feels a bit far past irrational worries :(
    What have you got to lose. I have you links to them and more over a year ago.

You are about to start therapy where there could be homework. If you don't do it, you don't get better. Take it from someone who often do the homework like many anxiety sufferers...Until you find the point you start fighting back, a rut is where you are. Therapy is hard work, it's the opposite of what anxiety wants us to do in people who are struggling to commit to doing anything on a regular basis. Try building up now with the workbooks and the therapy won't have as many brick walls.

It was more like she was doing some sort of, as I said above, subtle robot dance while she was getting up

If she was looking up above the umbrella to see the magpies directly above which is close to the doorstep she was perched on and was maneuvering or whatever to track their movements that would explain it but it looked so strange and concerning to me, she was moving in random directions and it looked like her body was twitching slightly when she came in- I may be overthinking the last bit but it looked very strange

You're right about her not being concerned, she wasn't at all concerned but what if she was just hiding it so I didn't worry? I do think my mum is so dumb when it comes to her health, she doesn't like wasting doctor's time but she had a daughter who had stage 4 cancer, I would think she'd find these things more concerning but she really isn't phased by it. If you have a seizure then you'd be distressed by it as you say but what if she just brushed it off as "one of those things"

That isn't normal and it's reasonable to worry about even when you have HA

I just feel so doomed. If it's not me having bowel cancer then she could have bowel cancer (diarrhea) or a brain tumor (a potential seizure) or bowel cancer metastasized to her brain? My worry complex feels very multi-layered and inescapable right now
    My GF suffers from a disorder from childhood that causes minor seizures in a certain circumstance. She is well aware of it and it is frightening even after decades of putting up with it. I doubt your mother would not be concerned by it. However, she wouldn't be the other end of the scale (like you) either. Her reaction might be to book in to talk to he GP about something strange that happened whereas your reaction was to ring an ambulance.

A work colleague once had a seizure and collapsed in a supermarket. He was off in an ambulance. He was well aware of it as was everyone else around him. Nothing wrong with him, it was a stress reaction and he doesn't suffer from anxiety. It never happened again. Anyone can have harmless seizures anyway for a variety of well recorded reasons but people, especially on here, will rush to the worst cases.

Why is it binary? Putting it down or amping it up. Life is about balance.

Why can't it be a matter of her being in her fifties, a smoker, maybe not the best of physical health and the impacts of that onto things like daily aches & pains that resulted in her being stiff as a board when she got up? That's just part of aging.

Toby we are back to reassuring replies. You are not in a position to rationalise things. Go look at any of the links that have been provided to you and start helping yourself

Sorry I forgot to check this thread after I stopped worrying a couple of weeks back- I’ve read all of the replies

Now I’m worried because I just saw my mum go out for a cigarette again and her hands started shaking slightly

I know you probably think I’m seeing things but it really looked like her hands were shaking slightly as she was picking her nails or something as she was sat outside smoking

What do I do? I feel like right now I have a big long list of problems

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information