Thread: How do you deal with aftermath anxiety after a huge panic attack?

How do you deal with aftermath anxiety after a huge panic attack?

Tonight was the worst panic attack day I've had in so long. I get milder panic attacks most days but every now and then I get what I call 'doom attacks' which feels like a bad panic attack on steroids. Every symptom is heightened especially the impending death and doom ones.

Today I had one of these attacks. My back and chest became so tight, the doom and death feeling were so strong, my arms ached and both my hands tingled so much. It felt like they vibrated more than my phone ever does! Usually my anxiety tingling is more mild so this symptom took me by surprise.

In the end it got so bad that I had to call my local crisis team. They were lovely and advised me to see my GP on Monday. I was so close to calling 999 instead. I knew it was a panic but it was so convincing that it wasn't just a panic if you know what I mean?

The attack was 4 hours ago now and the anxiety I have left is still high. I can't settle and just keep pacing my flat. I've tried playing some games and watching TV but can't get into it. The only thing that really helped was going for a bath for an hour.

What do you do to help with the high anxiety after a huge panic attack?

Take care everyone. Hope you're all well xx

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: How do you deal with aftermath anxiety after a huge panic attack?

Hey Ginger, I’m sorry to hear you had a bad attack.

How are you feeling now? The big attacks take a lot out of you and the after effects seem to go on forever with me. I tend to try and just take as much time for myself as possible, practice some relaxation techniques and just let the panic melt away as opposed to holding on to it. But honestly a lot of the time it takes me going to sleep and trying again the next day for a better day.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

After a severe panic attack at work when I got home I would just lay in the bath and read a book then watch my favourite tv shows and get myself ready to go back into work the next day but when I wasn't working I had one that I wasn't expecting(I knew I was going to take them when I was working)and I'm now on medication for when I know I will be in situations which cause me to take them,like you I still have milder ones but I haven't had a severe one for about 5 years thanks to the medication.
    Last edited by Sandra1980; 08-07-19 at 22:56.

Yesterday was almost as bad as the time I mentioned in the first post if not worse. Feel like I've got to build myself up from the ground again and I'm on the verge of falling to panic all over again. To me, the aftermath can be worse than the panic itself.

Sometimes the mental language you use can be very powerful. For example...'I'm on the verge of falling to panic' could be transformed into 'i've been here before, I know what it is, I know it will pass'.

After the panic attack, just carry on as usual. There's value in NOT placing too much importance on the attacks themselves, and there IS value in the idea that ignoring them and they'll go away is the way to go.

I second what Joe said. I will tell myself "It's just panic, I've had many before, it will pass within the next 30 minutes". I'm not saying it's easy to ride that wave but that's what you have to do. Eventually they'll become less and less or at the very least you will no longer be bothered by them. Tell yourself "Sh*t happens".

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

The two most successful methods of beating anxiety are meditation and CBT, and they more or less focus on the same kind of thought pattern, which is one of acceptance. Wired has nailed the crux of this, which is that it's not an easy ride, but it is absolutely what you have to do....repeatedly. You have to allow yourself to be exposed to what you perceive to be unbearable, and practice not reacting to it......repeatedly.

If you don't mentally uncouple yourself from the panic reaction to uncomfortable sensation, there is no possible way to recover.

Thread Information