Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Political correctness

Re: Political correctness

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Simple - the term is just a means to an end. Why should I sugarcoat my words to avoid offending someone who needs to be told something bluntly? If I have to tell it like it is, I have that right. So does everyone else.
    In 43 years, real life and online world, I am yet to find a single person who can "tell it as it is" who doesn't get all butthurt when you do it back to them.

Isn't life like this anyway? If your partner asks that question all men dread "does my bum look big in this" you are hardly going to reply "yes, because you are fat" are you?

Of course you have the right to complete free speech but it comes with consequences. That may be arrest, a smack in the mouth or being told to F off. Imagine how horrible the world would be if we all blurted out everything that was in our heads?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    A society is a group of individuals involved in persistent social interaction, or a large social group sharing the same geographical or social territory, typically subject to the same political authority and dominant cultural expectations.” My underlining but not my words; they are those of the Wikipedia definition (which is broadly in line with any other definition of the same word).
    But part of the hypocrisy is skirting around the elephant in the room with articles like this biased towards certain groups and the studies behind them trying not to expose themselves to backlash from other minority groups

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ce-aids-crisis

Its funny.... The comment section of news sites is probably the most politically incorrect forums of all. Check out Fox news and the comments. Holy $*&#! I've found that replying to that nastiness is an art form I could lower myself and be just as nasty but one of my favorite retorts is "Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breath. I believe you own it an apology." ... I have a ton of them

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hmm... political correctness... I might just have an opinion or two on this...I wonder if that makes me a racist?

How could I not post some relevant bits from Ben Elton police comedy, The Thin Blue Line

Post 1:

Post 2:

Post 3:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I heard a lovely phrase the other day:

"It's not political correctness, it's militant politeness."

Why not avoid hurting people's feelings if you're capable of doing so?

Also, Little Britain contained grossly offensive portrayals of disabled people and working class teenage girls. I wasn't comfortable with it at the time, given that it was made by a couple of posh white blokes, and I love that today there's room for comedy that punches upward rather than downward. The alternative is just bullying.
    'Little Britain' was of its time (mid 2000s) and was at the height of our obsession with c*@v culture and all things 'Broken Britain'.

But like you said, said show was already non-PC and met with derision at the time of its original airing.

As for the concept of PC-gone-mad in general, I don't necessarily agree, as over the past 30-odd years for example, explicit content in entertainment (films, TV dramas, popular music, books, etc) has increasingly become more commonplace with relative impunity, and often in the name of free expression.

Even as recently as the 2000s a Top 5 festive novelty hit single whose title called our PM a FC would never have been allowed; now it seems that anything goes in that respect, even though I kind of agree with the basic sentiment behind that song title.

Even Boris himself never seemed to bat an eyelid over it!

In the building industry, if someone calls you a cxxt, it's usually a term of endearment. If they call you by your formal name, they are generally lining you up for a row/bollocking!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    In the building industry, if someone calls you a cxxt, it's usually a term of endearment. If they call you by your formal name, they are generally lining you up for a row/bollocking!
    So shall I go and call someone else at my day centre a cxxt and/or tell them to eff off next week, and see if they lecture me on zero tolerance and read me the Riot Act?

After all, it's a serious offence for people with LDs to utter profanities isn't it?

(All said mostly in jest BTW).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information