Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Political correctness

Re: Political correctness

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    If somebody identifies as part way between male or female, how does it affect another person in any way?
    Exactly. I can understand how people might forget, but what's the harm in referring to a person in the way they wish?

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Why does it matter?

Using language like 'how can society be expected to tolerate' implies that there is some kind of unbearable burden on people to try and understand the choices or instincts of others.

If somebody identifies as part way between male or female, how does it affect another person in any way?
    A society is a group of individuals involved in persistent social interaction, or a large social group sharing the same geographical or social territory, typically subject to the same political authority and dominant cultural expectations.” My underlining but not my words; they are those of the Wikipedia definition (which is broadly in line with any other definition of the same word).

The 6ft bearded male mentioned is one that needs more information. There are going to be piss takers, and they make it harder for LGBT+ people, and this was within the role of assessing benefits claimants.

However, religious people need to remember that laws trump ideology. If they believe their adherence to that higher code can't be sacrificed then they will need to accept they are the Christians and the law is the Romans.

Are the definitions clear enough? Are they distributed to everyone who needs them? Going back to my management days I would say no. Diversity training was fluffy stuff telling you to be open to others (which should go without saying) and focussed more on traditional gay roles and race. I hope such courses have greatly improved because it's hard to keep track of everything and most of us reading specific LGBT+ literature aren't going to be aware of it all. I would hate to ever upset someone by not using the correct terms but when under stress it can happen.

Going back to rules for a moment. Religion doesn't trump work rules either. Like the law they are inclusive of religion (to a point) but not when they infringe on others.

I doubt the doctor will get as much support by allowing the Christian Legal Centre into this as they back people who truly do discriminate. Remember the teacher who wouldn't use the correct pronoun...but he was also bullying with sly digs and waffling about things not even supported by the curriculum as well as trying to convert people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    A society is a group of individuals involved in persistent social interaction, or a large social group sharing the same geographical or social territory, typically subject to the same political authority and dominant cultural expectations.” My underlining but not my words; they are those of the Wikipedia definition (which is broadly in line with any other definition of the same word).
    Then a broader set of definitions needs rethinking.

It was once expected that women shut their stupid fvcking mouths and did what they're told. In fact, it still is in some parts of the world. Luckily, things can change and people can become less judgemental and idiotic. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

My ironic overtly judgmental reaction at judgemental people is not lost on me....

Interesting observation, Frank. Would you like to elaborate on what you mean?
    Simple - the term is just a means to an end. Why should I sugarcoat my words to avoid offending someone who needs to be told something bluntly? If I have to tell it like it is, I have that right. So does everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Simple - the term is just a means to an end. Why should I sugarcoat my words to avoid offending someone who needs to be told something bluntly? If I have to tell it like it is, I have that right. So does everyone else.
    Yes, you have that right. That doesn't mean it's always necessary to exercise it. I don't think it's often strictly necessary to be blunt to the point of causing upset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly capable of flat-out rudeness myself, but I try to be honest with myself about my own frustrations rather than kidding myself I'm doing it out of some sort of higher moral imperative.

Frank… a good answer… a frank answer (pun intended)! 'Political Correctness' just happens to be the convenient descriptive tag that’s stuck for a modern, wide-reaching, pervasive attitude towards customs and manners.

In 43 years, real life and online world, I am yet to find a single person who can "tell it as it is" who doesn't get all butthurt when you do it back to them.

Isn't life like this anyway? If your partner asks that question all men dread "does my bum look big in this" you are hardly going to reply "yes, because you are fat" are you?

Of course you have the right to complete free speech but it comes with consequences. That may be arrest, a smack in the mouth or being told to F off. Imagine how horrible the world would be if we all blurted out everything that was in our heads?!!!

But part of the hypocrisy is skirting around the elephant in the room with articles like this biased towards certain groups and the studies behind them trying not to expose themselves to backlash from other minority groups

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ce-aids-crisis

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    But part of the hypocrisy is skirting around the elephant in the room with articles like this biased towards certain groups and the studies behind them trying not to expose themselves to backlash from other minority groups

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ce-aids-crisis
    Terry… that Guardian article emphasised (to me, anyway) that religion – any religion – can be used as a stalking horse to attack or defend any point of view. Whether this is ‘acceptable’ within the definition of ‘society’ is a moot point, especially when considering how many of our statutory laws are derived directly or indirectly from religion.

If we all lived in a secular society with no accepted or permitted religions, would society be more tolerant of variations either side of ‘normal’ (whatever that might be)? I think not, because, as I stated earlier, ‘Political Correctness’ has become a form of religion – it imposes its own morality and code-of-conduct in much the same way as many religions do, and is equally as judgmental and persecutory in its approach.

Without venturing too far into religion and while wearing my Devil’s Advocate hat (I haven’t worn it for a while), are the PC paragons the new Puritans? Or shall we have climate change deniers and LGBT critics etcetera face an Inquisition to be followed by a metaphorical burning at the stake on arbitrary conviction of heresy?
    Last edited by Pain; 12-07-19 at 16:14. Reason: Spelling

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information