Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Political correctness

Re: Political correctness

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I heard a lovely phrase the other day:

"It's not political correctness, it's militant politeness."

Why not avoid hurting people's feelings if you're capable of doing so?"
    I love this - and its also how I choose to interpret political correctness. On the whole.
    But I do think sometimes there is more to it than that. I think sometimes the hard-core politically correct turn indignation into a sport and that’s just...... annoying (although presumably the righteous indignant gain some pleasure from it).

An example. My husband’s cousin is a college student at a very left-wing right-on university in America. Her room mate identifies as gender neutral. The thing is, “they” (they’s chosen pronoun) is both genetically female and dresses female (makeup, dresses bla bla bla). So people are constantly calling they “she”, which causes great and enthusiastic offence and indignation. Official complaints get made etc.
    I can’t help but feel that, while it’s perhaps fun be so cross and righteous, it damages the overall culture of tolerance (which is SO important). It pushes people the other way.

I can definitely see what you're getting at, JoJo, and it's a tough balance to strike.

I do have my worries sometimes, but the absence of a Little Britain movie isn't one of them.

I can definitely see what you're getting at, JoJo, and it's a tough balance to strike.

I do have my worries sometimes, but the absence of a Little Britain movie isn't one of them.
    Such a hard balance to strike.... generally speaking; be kind, be polite and don’t take yourself tooooo seriously are pretty good rules of thumb.
    There just seems to be so much anger about. Remain v Brexit; PC v PC-Gone-Mad; extreme Left v extreme Right. It’s so EXHAUSTING, don’t you think? (I still think Brexit is a bad idea, mind!!)

Exactly, yes, there's too much hating going on.

There's being blunt and being PC. There are some that can be both and say FU and do it in a PC way but the vast majority of people cannot. Put the internet onto the equation and the skews heavily toward the 'not'. Frustration has a lot to do with it and its not unlike most internet forums. Like here, there's tea and sympathy and as I'm often accused of "too blunt". It is what it is and its not changing anytime soon. In fact, it will escalate IMO. I recall the protests when I was young. Sometimes millions would gather to protest. Nowadays, you get your rocks off posting a tweet from the comfort of your easy chair. Anonymity plays a big part too. It's far too easy to hide behind a screen name. I suggest you get used to it or just disconnect. You can't react to what you can't read or see.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    There's being blunt and being PC. There are some that can be both and say FU and do it in a PC way but the vast majority of people cannot. Put the internet onto the equation and the skews heavily toward the 'not'. Frustration has a lot to do with it and its not unlike most internet forums. Like here, there's tea and sympathy and as I'm often accused of "too blunt". It is what it is and its not changing anytime soon. In fact, it will escalate IMO. I recall the protests when I was young. Sometimes millions would gather to protest. Nowadays, you get your rocks off posting a tweet from the comfort of your easy chair. Anonymity plays a big part too. It's far too easy to hide behind a screen name. I suggest you get used to it or just disconnect. You can't react to what you can't read or see.

Positive thoughts
    Are you often accused of being “too blunt” FMP? I’d say you are “pitch perfect “

Is anyone allowed to be "blunt" these days though? And isn't this the problem? "Blunt" isn't a negative thing in my opinion and i'd welcome anyone telling me to "get a grip" if I needed to.

I think what a lot of people are missing here is that the disgusting Trump/Brexit fanatics have become used to calling any kind of empathy 'snowflake'.

There is a growing tendency for people to feel self righteous about their casual racism and disdain for anything that isn't white, because to oppose that view is somehow negating their freedom of speech.

People are being trained to hate, and embracing it. They feel that it somehow empowers them. The irony is stunning.

Agreed, Joe. For anything that isn't white, straight, able bodied and preferably male, in fact. The gradual removal of women's rights in the US terrifies me.

Agreed, Joe. For anything that isn't white, straight, able bodied and preferably male, in fact. The gradual removal of women's rights in the US terrifies me.
    Don't even get me started on how America does things. This is a country that dresses 14 year old girls up as hookers and parades them on the Disney channel as aspirational figures.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information