Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Political correctness

Re: Political correctness

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    In the building industry, if someone calls you a cxxt, it's usually a term of endearment. If they call you by your formal name, they are generally lining you up for a row/bollocking!
    Same in Glasgow.

Not so much around here though. Good chance of getting punched.

But language in such circles is like locker room behaviour and no offence is taken. It just gets called toxic masculinity though.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 18-02-22 at 15:47. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    So shall I go and call someone else at my day centre a cxxt and/or tell them to eff off next week, and see if they lecture me on zero tolerance and read me the Riot Act?

After all, it's a serious offence for people with LDs to utter profanities isn't it?

(All said mostly in jest BTW).
    Certainly the ones with LD's in the offices and factories I've worked in and dealt with have been more than capable of dishing a bit of verbal out as well as take it.

ETA - Almost all have found work life a lifeline to sanity compared to day centres.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Same in Glasgow.

Not so much around here though. Good chance of getting punched.

But language in such circles is like locker room behaviour and no offence is taken. It just gets called toxic masculinity thought.
    I'm sure somebody said the same about Belfast too, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure somebody said the same about Belfast too, but I could be wrong.
    It's more w@nk*r. The c word is still used more in anger here but some people use it. They will get judged as dog rough though by even we liberal swearers.

Edit: sorry, meant the w word around my way.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 18-02-22 at 17:10. Reason: Missed words

It's more w@nk*r. The c word is still used more in anger here but some people use it. They will get judged as dog rough though by even we liberal swearers.
    Strangely, I wouldn't be particularly fazed if someone was to call me a 'sp@z' to my face.

I would respond with 'I know you are'!

Likewise, if someone told me to eff off, I would respond with 'And you'!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    In the building industry, if someone calls you a cxxt, it's usually a term of endearment. If they call you by your formal name, they are generally lining you up for a row/bollocking!
    Indeed spectrum. I worked as a brickie for 14 years and know just about every swear word that exists. There was one foreman (site agent) that used the F word so much it took him three times as long to say something.

Strangely, I wouldn't be particularly fazed if someone was to call me a 'sp@z' to my face.

I would respond with 'I know you are'!

Likewise, if someone told me to eff off, I would respond with 'And you'!
    Me neither but if I had someone connected to me who was born with a condition referred to that way, I might think differently. You can't help being born or how.

Things like chav though are totally different. Calling someone a chav is no more derogatory than calling someone a toff. If you act like a w@nker I may call you one. You can choose how you act. But this doesn't mean using words like sp@z which are offensive to a completely innocent section of society who never did anything to warrant a derogatory label.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Indeed spectrum. I worked as a brickie for 14 years and know just about every swear word that exists. There was one foreman (site agent) that used the F word so much it took him three times as long to say something.
    I think my mum said something similiar about her time as a primary school dinner lady (before we called them yard supervisors)...the others, not my mum She said the primary school kids repeating rude words their parents used sometimes made them smirk once they told them off.

Reminds me of this seen on Mock The Week with Fred McAuley:

https://youtu.be/mVSXgU6HLHw

Warning: rude language.

Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 18-02-22 at 17:24.

I think my mum said something similiar about her time as a primary school dinner lady (before we called them yard supervisors)...the others, not my mum She said the primary school kids repeating rude words their parents used sometimes made them smirk once they told them off.

Reminds me of this seen on Mock The Week with Fred McAuley:

https://youtu.be/mVSXgU6HLHw

Warning: rude language.

Contrary to popular belief, school kids using bad language is nothing new, at least not since the mid 80s, which is my earliest recollection of such phenomena.

F and C-bombs and all, sometimes even in front of, and at the staff, especially the at the (primary age) residential school I attended, also including the terrifying incidents of pupils and staff members brawling with one another in the corridors at night after bedtime!

Did you have any say in this placement at a residential school or was it the only option which was thought suitable at the time? It sounds to me as if this was a completely inappropriate environment for you at this young age?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information