Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can’t I believe this isn’t crohns

Re: Somatic symptom Disorder

Working with my counselor, she believes many of my issues are somatic in nature. I have been (and still am) subject to many various aches and pains all across my body, including muscle and abdominal pains. We have documented that these issue arise/become more pronounced during stressful times, though overall still haven't succeeded in getting me past many of these issues. Things like the muscle pain is obvious (though, it doesn't help me beat it yet) - when I am stressed or anxious, I am commonly tensing my muscles (basic fight or flight response, but turned on 24/7).

However, my anxiety has manifested as other issues, such as GI problems and pains; these issue have been enough that I have even received a colonoscopy due to the severity of symptoms (but nothing of note was found, and aside from slight liver enzyme elevations (related to my weight), no blood or other abnormalities were detected). Despite being physically cleared, I am still prone to long periods of pain (among other issues), which may stay around for longer than the anxiety obviously presents itself.

I highlighted obviously because that is the problem - while the anxiety may leave my surface thinking, it is commonly still very much there, and easily brought up by a variety of triggers (god I hate that word.. the whole "triggered" thing drives me up the wall). It can be a place where something bad happened before (like a shopping center where I googled something, or got test results), somebody having a conversation that reminds me of a past event, or even just down time that allows my mind to wander (this is the most proof for me that my issues linger, since even a basic lack of distraction can allow the anxiety back to the surface). Because of this, I find my physical issues tend to hang around much longer than I might like, since the root of the problem has not really gone away; its simply.... dwelling in the shadows..

I also deal with a great deal of OCD, which is also agreed to be a significant cause of my problems. I can have a major time letting things go, even if others (doctors, friends, family, etc) feel the issue is resolved (or never an issue in the first place). Sometimes it will manifest as something silly (I can literally check my wallet three times in a row to be sure I put my card back, or check my truck a few times to make sure its locked), or something more serious (anxiety attacks where I feel that a test or diagnosis is incorrect, and that a problem is actually still effecting me (doesn't that sound familiar guys), despite evidence to the contrary). In many ways, "letting go" isn't in my vocabulary, which can make life extremely difficult.

What Terry said here is literally my problem in action:
    "
    Treating that HA may not treat the OCD enough in those cases which takes us back to what you are saying about choice and core issues in behavior."
    Just because i have worked past a specific issue, my ability to focus on things is not fixed, and quickly leads to relapses (or simply development of a new issue. And because i hang on so well, the physical manifestations also hang around (which can create a brutal feedback loop. Many times the anxiety becomes focused around this physical pain, which only serves to create more of it, which only heightens the anxiety more...). The few times i have truly had better control and clarity, the pain indeed did receed, which was further proof of the brain body connection behind it.

This is a great post guys. You all give great perspective. I'm glad I read this. Jonny, you're right. Anxiety can be very draining, and I hope you can find some pease.

Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Working with my counselor, she believes many of my issues are somatic in nature. I have been (and still am) subject to many various aches and pains all across my body, including muscle and abdominal pains. We have documented that these issue arise/become more pronounced during stressful times, though overall still haven't succeeded in getting me past many of these issues. Things like the muscle pain is obvious (though, it doesn't help me beat it yet) - when I am stressed or anxious, I am commonly tensing my muscles (basic fight or flight response, but turned on 24/7).

However, my anxiety has manifested as other issues, such as GI problems and pains; these issue have been enough that I have even received a colonoscopy due to the severity of symptoms (but nothing of note was found, and aside from slight liver enzyme elevations (related to my weight), no blood or other abnormalities were detected). Despite being physically cleared, I am still prone to long periods of pain (among other issues), which may stay around for longer than the anxiety obviously presents itself.

I highlighted obviously because that is the problem - while the anxiety may leave my surface thinking, it is commonly still very much there, and easily brought up by a variety of triggers (god I hate that word.. the whole "triggered" thing drives me up the wall). It can be a place where something bad happened before (like a shopping center where I googled something, or got test results), somebody having a conversation that reminds me of a past event, or even just down time that allows my mind to wander (this is the most proof for me that my issues linger, since even a basic lack of distraction can allow the anxiety back to the surface). Because of this, I find my physical issues tend to hang around much longer than I might like, since the root of the problem has not really gone away; its simply.... dwelling in the shadows..

I also deal with a great deal of OCD, which is also agreed to be a significant cause of my problems. I can have a major time letting things go, even if others (doctors, friends, family, etc) feel the issue is resolved (or never an issue in the first place). Sometimes it will manifest as something silly (I can literally check my wallet three times in a row to be sure I put my card back, or check my truck a few times to make sure its locked), or something more serious (anxiety attacks where I feel that a test or diagnosis is incorrect, and that a problem is actually still effecting me (doesn't that sound familiar guys), despite evidence to the contrary). In many ways, "letting go" isn't in my vocabulary, which can make life extremely difficult.

What Terry said here is literally my problem in action:
    "
    Treating that HA may not treat the OCD enough in those cases which takes us back to what you are saying about choice and core issues in behavior."
    Just because i have worked past a specific issue, my ability to focus on things is not fixed, and quickly leads to relapses (or simply development of a new issue. And because i hang on so well, the physical manifestations also hang around (which can create a brutal feedback loop. Many times the anxiety becomes focused around this physical pain, which only serves to create more of it, which only heightens the anxiety more...). The few times i have truly had better control and clarity, the pain indeed did receed, which was further proof of the brain body connection behind it.
    Yeah, all those core beliefs and neurons that need rewiring. It's like the old telephone exchanges with operators pulling a plug out of one hole and placing it into another. The subconscious has spent a load of time in a negative environment doing that so you end up having to dismantle all of this by not feeding it and changing how you respond.

And yes, I dislike "triggered" as it's one of the modern "safe spaces" types of nonsense.

Memory is also involved so you get stamps of events that were big for you just like any other memory Something traumatic is always big in memory and can be hard to push past. It thinks it's protecting us from potential danger, it's just we've embedded an irrational non danger. It's only following the same process for the big scary bear as this. And since the bi scary bear was never expected to be a caveman's best friend the process isn't expected to change it. Put a load of faulty wiring in there and it's going to take longer to mothball it all as it's counter intuitive to the intended process. But science has shown the same processes work to do so...it's just such a lot of work!

And I did all the checking of wallet, keys, etc too. I often see OCD as not only about doubt as a lack of self trust. Rebuild that too and have more confidence in yourself and it helps.

Pain in side

I’m really worried yesterday afternoon I developed a pain in my which almost feels like a stitch and hurts when I move or laugh etc, I keep burping so it sounds like trapped wind but I’m terrified it’s something more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Pain in side

It is probably nothing serious to be fair - just you overthinking it.

Why can't it be just a pain? could be a pulled muscle as well.

See how it goes and don't google!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have been going to the gym recently for the first time in years

There you go, then.

Oh so there is a reason for it then???

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I think it’s a pulled oblique muscle

Ok so why did you jump to a serious conclusion ?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information