Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annual Physical in a Week. Nervous!

Annual Physical in a Week. Nervous!

Hello everyone

I have my annual physical in a week and I am really nervous about it. I am a 28 male 170lbs. I exercise regularly and eat fairly healthy/lots of fruits and veggies.
    I feel fine but I have this underlying sense of dread that they will find something bad when they do tests.

It seems like I always get like this before my appointments.

Any advice is appreciated!

Re: Annual Physical in a Week. Nervous!

I always have this feeling too. I try not to think too much about it and i also tell myself that other people don’t worry about these normal appts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than the lubed finger thingie, its not that bad

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Why would a healthy 28 year old need an annual physical? All part of the American health insurance system I guess?

Yeah it’s the insurance system here.

I always worry that they will find something bad when they do blood tests and what not.
    Always gets me worried...

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Why would a healthy 28 year old need an annual physical? All part of the American health insurance system I guess?
    Do you not go for well checkups? 6 month dental visits?

It's not a mandatory thing in the US but recommended. It's not a wise thing to only go once your already sick.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Do you not go for well checkups? 6 month dental visits?

It's not a mandatory thing in the US but recommended. It's not a wise thing to only go once your already sick.
    I don't think it's necessary, no.

Although saying that, if I drank a lot of booze, smoked, and ate poor quality food all the time I probably would. The natural state for the human mind and body to be in is health. To assume disaster is around the corner all the time is only promoting anxiety.

"To assume disaster" ???

Wow, how extreme.

Checking blood pressure, blood sugar, bloodwork (found me anemic), listen to heart and lungs, and early dental issues like a small cavity, tartar buildup or beginning of gum disease... these any many more reasons for a well check up.

Do you get your teeth cleaned?
    Or do you only go to the dentist if your in agony?

Mind blown here.

So my annual exam is in less than two days but I am not as nervous as I was last year around this time. The only thing I found out last year was that I had elevated cholesterol which is weird considering I do a lot of running and eat good (The doctor chalked it up to genetics).
    In spite of this, there is apart of me that is somewhat concenred about a catastrophic diagnosis.

Oh my gosh I always get like this!

If it makes you feel better, I've had a lotttttt of blood work recently. I've seen a few different doctors and each orders different things. I had some in February, then in March. Then in April multiple times (something woman related issue thing) and then a thyroid biopsy 2 weeks ago which was super invasive. Last night I was in the er and had blood work and mri.

My best advise, coming from my phobia of needles (mine's severe) and from doctor anxiety in general... Think about the very short time it takes them to do it. Last night I was calmed by my husband holding my hand and another doctor doing the same while telling me to just look at him, and another doing the procedure. If you can grab a friend or listen to a podcast or music during tests it also makes it much easier. I also focus on my recent tests that were all fine. I also focus on my breathing. I focus on having a conversation in my head or with someone in the room. I like to joke around. It helps immensely.
    Also you can download apps like calm or calming podcasts and listen in the week up to the exam and on the way there.
    I always dread annual physicals but I always remember that having it each year ensures they can monitor me to the point that nothing can surprise pop up healthwise. What helps the most though - an understanding Dr with good bedside manner.

Best of luck with it and just remember all of your previous healthy exams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information