Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulbar ALS/MND

Bulbar ALS/MND

Hi all, newbie here.

2 years ago I suddenly developed bodywide fasciculations/ twitches. They're pretty constant, mainly in legs but all over. I was in a panic once I Googled ALS. After 4 months of NHS waiting I got a clear neuro exam and EMG on both legs and an arm (clean aside from a few fasciculations in calf).

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I suddenly developed a tightness around my throat. Swallowing feels harder and tighter, kind of constricted or pressured. Sometimes my swallow feels delayed, or I have a sudden urge to swallow that catches me by surprise. I've also started having lots of ear crackling and popping which seems like eustachian tube dysfunction.

I now fear that it was bulbar onset ALS all along, and the EMG missed it as they only checked limbs. I think I have the start of dysphagia and the muscles in my ENT area are now weakening. I doubt if my doctor will take me seriously after the panic last time though. I don't know what to do. I'm sure this isn't right though.

Re: Bulbar ALS/MND

Please READ THIS.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Please READ THIS.

Positive thoughts
    Thanks, I have read that, but the problem is all the other stuff I've read too.

You're anxious and hypervigilant, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened View Post
    Thanks, I have read that, but the problem is all the other stuff I've read too.
    Stop reading it then.

You've been medically cleared. Go out and enjoy the hayfever.

Hello frightened,

Nothing in your post sounds even remotely like bulbar onset ALS. It's obvious your health anxiety is in high gear right now so it would be best to avoid reading information online which can easily be misinterpreted. Try and get outside and go for a long walk, jog or anything really. Your fine.

Take care

Thanks all. I know my anxiety over this is pretty high right now but that's as a result of my symptoms, and those outlying cases I've read about that I can't unread. I don't think the anxiety is the cause of the symptoms. I've also made my swallowing become "manual" rather than automatic now, because I've focussed on it so much. Luckily I've not yet had any problem drinking or eating, it just feels really tight and wrong sometimes, although swallowing saliva is usually worse. I don't think I've had tongue twitches yet but I have had more around my chin, cheek and neck recently.

Frightened, I know where your coming from. Our body's can do odd things sometimes, an anxious mind will no dought latch on and focus obsessively. Even something as simple and natural as breathing can feel off and labored once an anxious mind focuses on it. It becomes awkward and unnatural. Swollowing is no different. I have quite a bit of knowledge in regards to ALS and I can tell you I've never seen or heard of a case where bulbar presented in the way you describe. Regardless of what you've read remember these rare outlier cases are atypical and usually the patient has other issues unrelated prior to developing and being diagnosed with said illness which makes these reports misleading. You'll pull through so keep positive and stay away from Google unless it's unrelated to your worries.

Take care

It seems to be getting worse unfortunately. Really tight throat when I woke up today and almost constantly feeling strangled and needing to swallow. Eating and drinking feels like it's getting more effort to swallow.

Are you getting help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information