Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctors words.....

Re: Doctors words.....

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I have to do that and I have burning pain in my upper back all day, no let up. And I'm a carer.

Come on, Jonny. It's just routine back ache.
    Something like 90 percent of people suffer from backache at some point.

I think there's this mindset with a lot of HA people that pain equates to danger, rather than a blasted nuisance. Pain is a sign we're alive.

I have bugg**ed scaroiliac joints on both sides of my pelvis, have done for 30 years. If my posture is wrong, if I sit an odd way at the computer without my feet flat on the floor, if I lean back in a sitting position in bed, if I lift something the wrong way, if I lie on my stomach flat (this one irritates me the most) and a variety of other physical activities, it is set off. When it is set off I can barely walk, stand or sit without pain, particularly down the left of my back and left leg. It can last for a week at a time in its highly inflammed state, I can't bend down to put my clothes on, I can't turn on the toilet (I know TMI lol), I hobble using the right leg mostly and it is agony no matter what position I am in down my thighs and front of leg also. I don't say all this because I deserve or want any attention or congratulations - I tell you that many people (like Pulisa above) have long-term BENIGN conditions that they just have to live with. MAny many people suffer from back problems, day in and day out, far far more severe than my own condition and are just trying to get on with it.

Regarding your back - why not start looking for mechanical reasons; adjust the actions you do, think about how you stand/sit and what you lift. Determine if you are doing anything that could be giving you the back pain, really start assessing your life-style in detail and change some of your current habits! I, and many others, have to do that and find ways to make symptoms manageable on a daily basis. I have learnt the actions that make it trigger, I have learnt positions that ease the stress that causes the joint dysfunction, and exercises that help open the joint and free the nerves. There could be lots you could do to help your aching back once you really assess possible causes, and find exercises or different positions that help.

Ultimately, it is an aching back.

I think there's this mindset with a lot of HA people that pain equates to danger, rather than a blasted nuisance.
    This is a very good point! Pain IS nature's way of telling us, you have hurt something/are doing something that is stressing muscles/joints, but often it is natural, normal and expected and part of the human condition. WHo hasn't overdone digging in the garden and suffered the next day ?

Your right, my hamstrings are very very tight and I have read that could be a signal for back pain, I am also 6ft 4 and I work on my feet for 9hours a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, now we get somewhere...... LOL

So, you are on your feet for 9 hours a day, are you doing lifting, carrying, leaning over a lot, manual handling ? Start assessing.....

Nothing too drastic no, I’m a retail manager so always folding, the till is for people who are an average height my doctor seems to think my height has a big part to play

I volunteer the idea that your back pain may not even be mechanical, but rather caused by all of your anxiety and stress. There is starting to be a lot of evidence coming out that various common chronic head, neck, and back pains with no identifiable structural damage are "self-made".

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

That’s something I’ve thought about jay, back pain is one of the main symptoms in depression

Whether it's mechanical, mental or caused by poxy aliens it doesn't matter. It's not dangerous OR serious.

Wishing you could do something is ridiculous, it's a choice, not a magic game of chance.

You have a choice to keep wittering on about the same old thing (you've been talking about being on your feet at work for how long?) or just accept it for what it is and get on with your life. I've been suffering with back pain for 14 years (since I last worked in construction) AND have two kids AND I'm overweight. If I followed the same mental patterns as you I'd be in a very bad place.

Back pain is THE number one medical complaint on the planet, fact.

Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Something like 90 percent of people suffer from backache at some point.

I think there's this mindset with a lot of HA people that pain equates to danger, rather than a blasted nuisance. Pain is a sign we're alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I have bugg**ed scaroiliac joints on both sides of my pelvis, have done for 30 years. If my posture is wrong, if I sit an odd way at the computer without my feet flat on the floor, if I lean back in a sitting position in bed, if I lift something the wrong way, if I lie on my stomach flat (this one irritates me the most) and a variety of other physical activities, it is set off. When it is set off I can barely walk, stand or sit without pain, particularly down the left of my back and left leg. It can last for a week at a time in its highly inflammed state, I can't bend down to put my clothes on, I can't turn on the toilet (I know TMI lol), I hobble using the right leg mostly and it is agony no matter what position I am in down my thighs and front of leg also. I don't say all this because I deserve or want any attention or congratulations - I tell you that many people (like Pulisa above) have long-term BENIGN conditions that they just have to live with. MAny many people suffer from back problems, day in and day out, far far more severe than my own condition and are just trying to get on with it.

Regarding your back - why not start looking for mechanical reasons; adjust the actions you do, think about how you stand/sit and what you lift. Determine if you are doing anything that could be giving you the back pain, really start assessing your life-style in detail and change some of your current habits! I, and many others, have to do that and find ways to make symptoms manageable on a daily basis. I have learnt the actions that make it trigger, I have learnt positions that ease the stress that causes the joint dysfunction, and exercises that help open the joint and free the nerves. There could be lots you could do to help your aching back once you really assess possible causes, and find exercises or different positions that help.

Ultimately, it is an aching back.

This is a very good point! Pain IS nature's way of telling us, you have hurt something/are doing something that is stressing muscles/joints, but often it is natural, normal and expected and part of the human condition. WHo hasn't overdone digging in the garden and suffered the next day ?
    That's the thing, if you didn't care you wouldn't be bothered by it. And your subconscious wouldn't even look to bring it up. It's the old issue of what is important to you. Anxiety seeks out the Achilles Heel, what will evoke the greatest reaction to keep itself alive. It thinks it's saving you from the slavering growing bear when there is actually a cute fluffy bunny in front of you (but not the one out of Monty Python And The Holy Grail )

For the HAer that strange sensation becomes a "what illness if this?". As a GADer, who has always struggled with symptoms, this isn't the case for me but it's just the fact it's unpleasant to experience and can/will bring more anxiety. Fear of fear but also just that weakness issue of not being able to just push on as I did before.

On top of this there is the sensitivity issue. It's no longer just a minor ache but an all focus pulling unpleasant ache. But the reality is, as has been said, it may be less of an ache or pain if your body didn't respond so strongly to it with "aaarrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!"

Jonny - do what Joe said, reduce your compulsions. Working on the obsession is a different piece as it requires working on those core beliefs that underpin it all, thoughts/thinking styles and behaviours, etc but (whilst it's hard at first) you will in time elimination of those reinforcing compulsions reduces the intensity of your cycles.

That's the thing, if you didn't care you wouldn't be bothered by it.
    Yep, and I think thats what Jonny needs to do, learn to not care about something that is clearly nothing sinister. I view it important that those without HA counteract the thinking of those with HA by giving the persepective on how others logically process it.

Maybe he could buy and try one of those supportive wide belt things for lower back pain? I suspect his doctor is right about his height and the lower back pain, as I knew a carer who had similar issue just from bending and leaning a lot during a long working shift.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information