Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Doctors words.....

Re: Doctors words.....

I’m really worried about this nervous tummy feeling it makes me want to poo all the time please someone tell me this is normal for anxiety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've been told repeatedly; you need to learn to tell yourself.

Do you really want this thread to hit the 200 page mark without you feeling any better?

It’s like a sinking feeling in my lower tummy thats constantly there it does not ease up and when I go to poo nothing happens how can anxiety and my meds do this

Cos they can, as I told you quite a few times - disturbed gut flora, the colon constantly trying to evacuate (from anxiety) and for a multitude of other reasons all related to stress e.g. spasms in the colon. There is very little there to actually come out at present!
    Last edited by Carys; 21-07-19 at 11:51.

Anxiety affects a person inside and out. One of the areas most sensitive to this change is the digestive system. The human digestive system is incredibly delicate. Even the smallest imbalance can lead to a host of bowel problems spanning the spectrum from minor discomfort to significant distress.
    Bowel problems are commonly associated with anxiety, as stress can alter hormones, affect digestion speed, and put significant pressure on intestines. Throughout this article, we’ll explore the causes, symptoms, and solutions of bowel problems as they relate to anxiety and stress.

There are many bowel issues that can relate back to stress and anxiety as well. But what is interesting about bowel issues from anxiety is that they are related in a number of ways, some of which may not even yet be clear.

Below is a quick breakdown of some of the bowel problems that those with anxiety may struggle with. While it is not a comprehensive list, the bowel issues below are some of the most common reported issues and the ones that you or someone you care about may experience if they struggle from anxiety and stress related issues.

Gas

Another common bowel problem associated with anxiety is gas. During periods of anxiety when digestion is slowed and diet affected, the result may not just be diarrhea and constipation. It may also be gas, which the body creates any time digestion isn’t working properly. Gas can be both smelly and painful, and in some cases can lead to increased stress in social situations.
    There are other issues that may lead to gas and flatulence as well. Those with anxiety are prone to air swallowing and hyperventilation, and these can lead to excess air in the body. Usually, this air is released through the mouth, but in some cases, it can be released through the bowel instead.

Diarrhea and Constipation

Two of the most common bowel issues connected to stress and anxiety are diarrhea and constipation. Of course, these two bowel issues are linked to hundreds of different causes and conditions, which is why sometimes these issues go unnoticed or are attributed to a different cause. But anxiety is still a frequent cause and contributor. These basic digestive issues affect a large percentage of those that struggle with severe stress.
    Yet, interestingly, the cause of these issues is not always clear. Some possible causes are known, but it may be difficult to determine the exact mechanism that is affecting your particular diet. Some of the potential causes include:

• Changed Digestion - Anxiety releases adrenaline, and adrenaline may slow down the speed of your digestion. Any time your digestion speed changes, it may cause either diarrhea or constipation.
    • Anxiety-Diet Changes - Sometimes, when people have stress, they change what they eat and drink. For example, if someone is suffering from anxiety related fatigue they may have more coffee to make up for it, which may cause diarrhea. Or they may eat ice-cream as a coping tool, leading to an upset stomach.
    • Diarrhea and Constipation

Two of the most common bowel issues connected to stress and anxiety are diarrhea and constipation. Of course, these two bowel issues are linked to hundreds of different causes and conditions, which is why sometimes these issues go unnoticed or are attributed to a different cause. But anxiety is still a frequent cause and contributor. These basic digestive issues affect a large percentage of those that struggle with severe stress.
      Yet, interestingly, the cause of these issues is not always clear. Some possible causes are known, but it may be difficult to determine the exact mechanism that is affecting your particular diet. Some of the potential causes include:
    • Changed Digestion - Anxiety releases adrenaline, and adrenaline may slow down the speed of your digestion. Any time your digestion speed changes, it may cause either diarrhea or constipation.
    • Anxiety-Diet Changes - Sometimes, when people have stress, they change what they eat and drink. For example, if someone is suffering from anxiety related fatigue they may have more coffee to make up for it, which may cause diarrhea. Or they may eat ice-cream as a coping tool, leading to an upset stomach.

The "Need to Go"

Finally, anxiety can also cause an ongoing feeling of urgency, or needing to go to the bathroom.
    This is due to the fight or flight system being activated as a result of stress. Pressure builds up inside of the body, causing stool to feel like it needs to come out. Also, during times of intense stress, the body uses increased amounts of energy, leaving less energy to hold the anal sphincter in place.

Thank you

Just been to docs, I had full blood tests and no inflammation at all and all my bloods were good, iron levels very good.

They said my stomach feeling is down to anxiety and the fact I’m not eating well or drinking is playing a huge part

They said my stomach feeling is down to anxiety and the fact I’m not eating well or drinking is playing a huge part
    Well, Jonny, sorry to have to say this........ok, I won't say it . We have all been saying this over and over, you are refusing to believe it though, hence having gone off to the doctor (which Doctor would see you on a Sunday and run various blood tests, he must be a one-off ?). I also said on PM that I recognise all your symptoms personally.

I went to A&E as I was feeling suicidal so they ran blood tests there and then,

I’ve come back home after being assessed and I have really bad diarrhoea now and my stomach feels so nervous

Jonny, if you are feeling suicidal, then its time to ring your out of hours doctor and talk to them pronto. Did you tell A and E that you were feeling that way ? (I know you also went yesterday, or was it the day before about your back, not sure if it was the same A and E you went to today?) I would say that if this is a new feeling for you, and if you are concerned about your thoughts, then you should be speaking with someone to get some further assessement - based on the fact you have just started sertraline.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread Information